Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Request for your favorite hotels in Paris and/or Madrid!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 11:04 PM
Carlos

We are going to France (mostly around Paris) and Spain (mostly around Madrid) next month and would appreciate your recent tips on your favorite, moderately-priced hotels in Paris and Madrid. Thanks!!!

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 06:08 AM
Anna

The rue Cler neighborhood near the Eiffel Tower has 2 affordable places. One if the Hotel Leveque (tel 47054915 fax 45504936)and the other is the Hotel Du Centre (47055233 fax 40629566). You should be able to get a double with bath at either place for less than $100 USD. Rue Cler is a pedestrian street filled with vegetable stands during the day, there are also several bakeries, groceries, and a post office. The Ecole Militare Metro stop is only one block, the Eiffel Tower is a short walk. The Leveque is nicer than the Centre.

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 06:27 AM
Maira

Carlos, Located in the same neighborhood as Anna's hotel suggestions is Hotel Muguet. I have stayed there and is a great option. I have posted all the info you need about the Muguet somewhere in this Forum (search: France). You may want to look it up. Any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 07:59 AM
es

In Madrid, the Tryp Ambassador. Located up the street from the recently reopened Opera House and walking distance to the Presidential Place, Grand Via, Plaza Oriente and Plaza Mayor. The hotel used to be a former ambassador's mansion. The staff is very nice. The hotel is part of the Tryp hotel group that operates many hotels in Spain. Fodor's gives it a TOP PICKS designation.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 11:07 AM
anne

Our favorite is Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles, on Cardinal Lemoine in the Latin Quarter. A charming place arranged around a garden courtyard - a romantic country oasis right in the midst of the popular 5th arrondissement. Doubles 500 francs. Tal. 011-33-1-43-26-79-23.

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 02:43 PM
pt

i'm a parisian. the hotel i generally recommend to friends is the hotel de l'abbaye. it's in the 6th arrondissement right near place saint sulpice. i recommend it because i live near it, for one, but also because it's a very cute little place (a type of building we call hotel particulier) with a nice cobblestone courtyard on a quiet street and, perhaps most importantly, almost every visitor stays on the right bank, near the louvre (where no parisians live) and this hotel is in the heart of the left bank. saint suplice is of course a gorgeous square (catherine deneueve and the french prime minister live there) and this is the heart of the saint germain des pres shopping cum literary area (where all the literary lions hung out in the 20s). phone is (33)(1) 45 44 38 11 and website: www.hotel-abbaye.4in.com

Old Sep 20th, 1998, 01:28 AM
Anita

Does PT in Paris have any suggestions for lodgings in Normandy or the Loire Valley? We will spend a week driving in both places after a week in Paris. Thanks.

Old Sep 21st, 1998, 09:49 PM
Marcia

Normandy: check the Normandy website for all the various chateaus, manors and B&B's. We used this to stay at the Manoir du Carel. It was absolutely terrific. Since we needed two rooms, we rented their cottage -w hich turned out to be the old village bakery. Very old. The house itself had 16th century style chimney over the huge fireplace in the main room. It was just wonderful.
The cottage rental was actually a very good buy - because it had quite decent little kitchen and you could cook. We drove up the price a bit by having breakfast twice in the main house because it was a)delicious and b)we could practice our french with the owners. Monsieur speaks very workable English.
And if this isn't quite the place for you, there were two dozen others, equally appealing.

About the recommendation of the Hotel L'Abbaye - St. Sulpice is a really great area to stay in. We like the area so much, we always come back there, although our long time (30 years) favorite hotel is now shuttered for reasons unknown. I've see the Hotel L'Abbaye recommended elsewhere. We stayed in the Grand Hotel des Balcons not too far away, between Place de L'Odeon and the Carrefour Odeon. It is recommended in Fodors and elsewhere and was very good - less than a 5 minute walk from St. Sulpice.

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 03:50 PM
Margaret

In Paris, Hotel Chopin; charming, 36 rooms with bath; at the end of an arcade (Passage Jouffroy), 10 Blvd. Montmartre, not far from the Opera. We stayed there in March, 490 francs for a room with two single beds, clean, big breakfast for a modest additional charge.
10, Boulevard Montmartre,75009 Paris.
Tel. 01 47 70 58 10
Fax 01 42 47 00 70

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 11:13 AM
Jen

I've an extremely charming b&b suggestion for the Loire Valley. We stayed at Ferme de Launay in Chancay which is just in between Tours and Amboise. This vine covered farmhouse dates back to 1600's and has been loving ly restored. Braun & Jean-Pierre Schqweiger runs this 3 bedroom B&B with panache & great warmth. Braun is an interior designer and the place reflects it. The best room is the Vine Bedroom with a King bed and beautiful pine furniture. Room rates are approx. 400f - $60. They serve a scrumptious dinner in the evenings - Jean-Pierre spent many years as a hotelier. To contact them, try Karen Brown's France Inns book or www.karenbrown.com. Or email me.

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 12:51 PM
raeona

We also stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons and I can second the recommendation for it. But if I were planning a trip right now, which sadly, we aren't, I'd sure be tempted by our friendly Parisian's recommendation!

A great site to check out Paris hotels is: www.paris-hotel.com/ It's very throrough, including pictures, and prices.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 05:25 PM
linda

In Madrid... I stayed at the Crowne Plaza at Plaza de Espana... Right in front of the Metro, and the park with the Statue of Don Quixote. Reasonable rates... nice property.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 06:19 PM
Lu B.

On a recent business trip, I stayed at the Prince de Galles at Avenue Georges V and the Champes Elysee. About 250 US Dollars. Excellent accomodations and service. It is in the 8th Arrondissement. You can find out about it at www.sheraton.com as it is a Sheraton property. Elegant.

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 06:14 PM
jeanne

2 more Loire valley suggestions:

Hotel La Roseraie (used to be the Hotel Ottoni)

Right in the heart of Chenonceaux-we arrived there late one night and they brought us the nicest meal up on a tray-really nice. Address is: Hotel La Roseraie 37150 Chenonceaux France
folks the tel is: 01 47 23 90 09, fax is: 01 47 23 91 59.

A little outside of Chenonceaux is a Chambres d'Hotes which is in a little town called St Martin Le Beau-it is called Fombeche and the address is:
Fombeche 37270 St Martin-Le-Beau and the tel: 01 47 50 25 52, fax 01 47 50 67 42

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 02:42 PM
mike

Author: Mike ([email protected])
Date: 12/05/1998, 12:31 pm ET

Message: The Grand Hotel Leveque is a quaint little Hotel on Rue Cler in the heart of Paris. The hotel is within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower, the Lourve, the Muse D'Orsay and the Hotel de Invalides. The # 8 Metro has a stop at the end of the block, the #8 line runs past the Opera House and the Galleries de Lafayette. The Rue Cler is a picture perfect Parisian street, with street cafes, wine, cheese and pastry shops. We travel to Paris in April 1998 and the weather was poor. But the hotel was grand. The Leveque was a one star hotel at the time of our trip, but was about to gain its second star about the time of our departure. The rates were great about $40 dollars a night (US). About half of the hotel staff spoke good english but with a little effort all could be understood. The rooms were newly remodeled, clean and of reasonable size by European standards. They had private baths, with shower, and a room safe that could be rented for 10 francs ($20) for the length of your stay. I learned of the Hotel from a newspaper review in the St. Paul Pioneer Press; the author took his teenage daughter there for a three-day trip over Thanksgiving.

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 09:12 AM
lisa

In Madrid try the Hotel Suecia or the Reina Victoria. I have nown several people who stayed at the Reina Victoria and loved it. Good location.