Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Request for suggestions for travel in Germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/request-for-suggestions-for-travel-in-germany-62037/)

Sharon Feb 7th, 2000 07:20 PM

Request for suggestions for travel in Germany

We are starting to plan a trip to Germany for next year (May). This will be our first time there and would like to see as much as we can without feeling too rushed. We need to find a little town in the Black Forest called Malsch (there seems to be two of them) and spend a couple of days there but then we have 2 more weeks to fill. My mother would love to take a trip down the Danube. My husband wants to see some castles. Any suggestions on what to see and the best way to travel (car, train?). <BR> <BR>Thank you, <BR>Sharon

harzer Feb 7th, 2000 08:48 PM

Hi Sharon! Your Malsch is just south of Karlsruhe on the doorstep of the beautiful Black Forest. You could do a lot worse than hire a car and drive from Baden-Baden on the high road (Schwarzwaldhochstrasse) down to Freudenstadt; from here via Schiltach and Hausach down to Freiburg; then strike east via Titiseee to Donaueschingen where you can see the source of the Danube (German: Donau). The Danube does not carry passenger traffic until you get to Kelheim near Regensburg. Here you can do a short cruise through the Danube gorge to Weltenburg monastery which is well worth seeing. It also has the oldest monastery beer brewery in the world. From Regensburg a charming city just beyond Kelheim, passenger services operate along the Danube all the way to the Black Sea. <BR>Visit the site &lt;about.com&gt; for details about the Danube in eastern Europe. <BR>As for castles, I am sure there will be many that you could visit as detours from this route, but I'll leave that for other Fodorites a

scott Feb 7th, 2000 10:50 PM

Dear Sharon, The Swartzwaldhochstrasse is beautiful. On maps it is #500 or 50. If you want to see castles the Rhein river cruse between Bingen and Koblenz is the best. A company called KD is the most popular sightseeing firm on the Rhein

D.B. Feb 7th, 2000 11:08 PM

Ahhh, cruising the Danube (or Rhine) in May. Only be prepared for total non-excitement... just relax and float down stream. Don't forget to bring the Strauss CD. <BR> <BR>Strasbourg, and may the Scwhartz be with you. <BR>

Sharon Feb 8th, 2000 03:31 AM

Hi Sharon, <BR> <BR>I strongly recommend a visit to the "Romantische Strasse", which begins (if my memory serves me right) in Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber. This is a wonderful road, going through small romantic towns in the south of Germany. I suggest you contact your local Lufthansa office, as there is usually an official tourist-office nearby, and they can give you many tips and brochures. Whatever you do and wherever you go - try and make it to Berlin: it's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to. <BR>Have a nice trip.

Linda Feb 8th, 2000 06:59 PM

You will have to choose. Germany can take up all your time & be absolutely wonderful. All of the above suggestions are great, expecially Berlin--so much history, culture, friendly people. Hamelin (as in Pied Piper) is nice. Some friends stayed at a castle on the Fairy tale route. Oberammagau has a passion play every 10 years. Bertchsgaden (Hitler's Eagle's Nest). If you make it to Vienna, Austria, you could ride the Danube to Budapest. We stayed with a retired English-speaking attorney & wife there. Email me if you are interested in his information. A lot depends on where you are arriving & departing.

Martin Feb 18th, 2000 04:21 PM

All the above suggestions are excellent, but I thought I'd throw in a couple others in case you are nearby. Schwabish Hall (about midway between Stuttgart and Nuremburg) is a very beautiful, not too touristy town with lots of charm. Also, Ulm has a tremendous (and often ignored) cathedral. The spire is the highest in the world and I think it's a little prettier than Cologne's.

Kate Feb 20th, 2000 07:32 AM

Of course if you are taking the Romantic Road, you will end up at Neuschwanstein, and the nearby and just as beautiful Linderhof... A fun contrast to some of the more midevil castles. <BR>You really don't want to feel rushed.. pick a few spots and don't worry about what you can't see. have fun!

Bob Feb 20th, 2000 09:39 AM

I would recommend doing your trip by car. German roads are very good and it allows you to stop in the small towns along the way. If you fly to Frankfurt you can easily drive to Heidelberg on day of arrival. See the castle and maybe spend the night there. Head over to Rothenburg from there. Nice town. Touristy, but nice. Stay there one or two nights. Then head down Romantic Road to Fussen and Neuschwanstein Castle. Then over through Oberammergau and Garmisch. (Beware: the Passion Play is on this year and Bavaria may be crowded). The Alpine road to Berchtesgaden/Salzburg area. After that, you are on your own. Have a great trip