Request for Out-of-Paris experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Paris late May. Want to spend 5 nights out of Paris, but can't make up our minds becasue everything looks so great. Current proposed itinerary is train to Bordeaux, rent car and drive to Biarritz, explore the coast and the Pyrenees - hiking, etc., return to Bordeaux and tour some of the vinyards, return via train to Paris for the last night in France. Any thoughts/suggestions? At this point we simply have the flight and Paris hotel arrangements, so we are wide open. Don't want to spend the entire trip in a car or train. Like to hike and hang out. Thank you in advance for your input.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Rent a car. Go to Normandy and Brittany. Take the TGV to Avignon, rent a car and see Provence. Rent a car and cruise the Loire. Take the TGV to Dijon and see the Burgundy region.
I personally prefer to do our "out of Paris" portion of the trip first and then leave for home from Paris. I think it is easier to get the car rented and returned without the hassle just before having to board a flight, or make arrangements for a CDG hotel or other hotel the night before an early flight.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:07 AM

There's great hiking to be had in the Morvan region of Burgundy, which is a national park. Take the TGV to Dijon, get a car, and head on out. While you're in the area, go wine-tasting and see Beaune if you have time.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Your idea is fine, if somewhat less obvious than the standard tour area (Loire, Burgundy, Normandy, etc.). If you like mountains and hiking, the Pyrenees or the Alps would be obvious choices. But unless you go to the southern Alps, the Basque area that you mention will give you the best combination of mountains and sea. I would do the countryside first if this is your first trip to France. I find it easier to adapt to a foreign country in places other than major cities.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Pick your area and spend it there...5 days is a very short period of time...don't try to cover too large an area. You will keep returning to see more areas.