Notices

Republic Day - Sunday June 2nd

Aug 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Republic Day - Sunday June 2nd

I was double checking the dates we plan to travel to Italy next year and realize that we would be visiting over Rpublic Day, Sunday, June 2nd.

Our dates are still flexible so I can bump to a week later if needed, but this gets me further into the summer months. I can't leave the states before May 24 due to graduations, etc.

Based on my preliminary itinerary, I would be between Sorrento and Naples during on this day (Herc, arch, museum, etc). What should I expect in terms of closures, crowds, operating hours, etc? Would it be recommended to avoid this date if possible?

I appreciate your help!
Aug 10th, 2012, 03:58 PM

You should stick to your plans. About the only possible noticeable effect for tourists is that a few shopkeepers who normally would stay open on Saturday might make it a longer holiday. But even that is doubtful. You might see a street blocked here or there for a civic function or a political rally. Some restricted parking. If the weather is nice, everybody will head to the seaside for the holiday -- but that is true on any nice Sunday in June anyway.

In Naples, there are some people who still miss the king, so don't expect a big celebration. However, there is likely to be a small military parade in the huge Piazza Plebescito. Here's pictures of the one from this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oQBARK-g4s

However, there is a much larger ceremony marking the event in Rome, with a lot of pomp and fanfare, heads of state, and the flying of the colors. If that sort of thing interests you, then you could plan to be in Rome that day.

Search this Thread