Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Report from Midtown Manhattan .. 9/17 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/report-from-midtown-manhattan-9-17-a-189306/)

Frank Sep 14th, 2001 05:43 AM

Report from Midtown Manhattan .. 9/17

Today it is raining heavily with cold winds blowing. I'm sure it is making the recovery and clean-up effort much more difficult. The area between 14th Street and Canal Street has been re-opened, leaving only the lower tip of Manhattan off-limits. <BR> <BR>Broadway shows and cultural institutions have re-opened and the stock exchanges are expected to open on Monday. All public transportation continues to work reasonably well. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately as you most likely heard, all 3 New York Airports have been closed this morning due to another threat. <BR> <BR>President Bush will be in town this afternoon and although it will reak havoc on the already overburdened roadways, it is important he be here to see the devastation first hand. <BR> <BR>Flags in Manhattan are sold out and there is a patriotic feel in the city, I as a life long resident have never witnessed. <BR> <BR>The resolve of the American people, Texans, New Yorkers, Floridians, etc, is building and I hope we are joined by the peace loving nations of the world to lick this once and for all. <BR> <BR>God Bless America.

Gigi Sep 14th, 2001 06:14 AM

Frank, <BR>Thank you for sharing with us these last few days. It is one thing to see it all on the news and listen to the radio reports, it is another to hear from you, Elaine, tcc, Mark and others that are in the immediate area. <BR>Today seems to be the hardest day thus far for me. I think I have still been in shock. Now, I can't seem to control the tears. It is impossible to imagine how all the families of these missing people must feel. My heart goes out to all of them and the loved ones lost, the families of the people on planes, and you who are living in the midst of this horror. <BR>I shall be thinking of you today, Frank. <BR>Take care and God Bless. <BR>Gigi <BR> <BR>Peace to all <BR>

Sarah Sep 14th, 2001 06:35 AM

Gigi I know this sounds corny but don't control the tears you will be surprised how strong you will feel tomorrow. This is what happened for me anyway. I worry about the people in my office who have not been showing any emotion. They have all been working since Monday. <BR> <BR>I find I don't want to look at a half- mass flag. I want to go downtown look at the wreckage and than fast-forward to 2004. But the sooner we start dealing with these feelings the sooner they will pass. I am a big talker but I know I will whip back into denial soon enough. Many of us are still here. We are still New Yorkers. This is still our home, now more than ever !!! <BR>

Gigi Sep 14th, 2001 06:42 AM

Thanks, Sarah <BR>Events like this can move us so profoundly. You are correct that we need to allow ourselves to cry and grieve. Sometimes it seems as if it could overwhelm one. <BR> <BR>I shall think of you today, as well. Take care, Sarah. <BR>Gigi <BR>

Frank Sep 14th, 2001 11:08 AM

Gigi: <BR>Thanks for your kind thoughts. It's all about us as Americans, from Hawaii to Maine, working together and being resolute in our determination that this will never be allowed to happen again. My prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.

Gigi Oct 4th, 2001 02:25 PM

Frank, <BR>How is it going you? We haven't heard anything from you lately. Please let us know how you are. You are still in our thoughts and prayers. <BR>Gigi

Frank Oct 5th, 2001 06:46 AM

Gigi: Thanks so much for asking. I've been here on both the European and U.S. boards getting back to answering travel questions. Manhattan is getting back to normal, particularly as it relates to tourists. Times Square seems to be getting more crowded each day and the Broadway shows seem to be attracting larger audiences. The restaurants in Midtown are pretty much back to normal and it is quite clear that more and more tourists are returning each week. I'm sure it will take several more months for the hotel and tourist trade to be back to pre 9/11 levels. <BR> <BR>Having said that, I believe it is more difficult for the locals to "get back to normal". The heighten security, mandatory car pooling, several subway stations out for the next couple of years, memorials all over town, funerals all over the tri-state area, it will take time. For most, months, for those directly effected, years. <BR> <BR>But life goes on, and as we put more time and space between us and September 11, life will get back to "normal". We will never forget but we go on. <BR> <BR>Hope all is well with you and yours. Are you actually from France or do you just wish you were? <BR> <BR>Be Well.

Gigi Oct 5th, 2001 12:36 PM

Frank, <BR>Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear that you are getting visitors in the city. I am sure the businesses need the income. It must be very strange, however, to have people going to dinner and shows while the recovery effort continues. It just has to be an unbelievable, horrible contrast. I just ache for all the people in New York and Washington, and especially families who lost loved ones. <BR>You, Elaine, and Escritora are wonderful examples of New Yorkers, and Americans. <BR>The thought of travel is so bittersweet, is it not? The very thing that allows us to learn and explore, that makes us fall in love with countries and their people, also makes a tragedy like this so much more real for us. I have visited New York City, specifically the WTC, the floor of the stock exchange, and so on. Because of those visits, it became so personal. And, I believe I speak for many. <BR> <BR>Gigi has been my nickname for years. I am not from France, and yes :), I wish I were (part of the time). Travel to Europe typically happens two to three times a year. Business plays a part in that. <BR> <BR>Thank you for posting, Frank. Take good care. <BR>Blessings to you and yours, <BR>Gigi <BR> <BR> <BR>