Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Repeat of prior message re Scotland, sorry!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Cindy

Author: Cindy ([email protected])
Date: 12/14/2002, 07:26 pm
Message: We just made reservations for February. Will be flying into Manchester England (great US Airways rates) We know we would like to spend four days in Edinburgh. Would also like to go to Glasgow, Isle of Skye, Stirling, Inverness, not sure where else. My friend also wants to go to some distilleries.

We are planning on renting a car in Manchester and driving. From what I have read, it seems as if we will do much better with our own vehicle as opposed to relying on bus and rail. I am a little concerned about parking in Edinburgh - I am assuming that we would pay a real premium if we were to pick the car up in Manchester and then turn it in at Edinburgh (using other means of transport to return to airport) Any thoughts?

Would it be better for us to go to Edinburgh at beginning of trip or at end? Also would really appreciate any help in developing itinerary. We would really like to stay in each place at least two nights and preferably three. Should we wait until we get there to reserve accomodations? If not, any suggestions for b&b's, guesthouses, inns would be much appreciated. We are doing this on a budget and would like to keep rates to less than $85 if at all possible.

Thanks very much for any assistance

Cindy

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:04 AM
xxx

This site may help you find B&B's.
http://www.bbinscotland.co.uk/

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Sheila

Cindy

to add to previous inputBR>
1. you can collect and leave hire cars at Waverley Station in the town centre, so don't worry about getting out to and in from the airport.

2.I'd do Edinburgh at the start. It'll leave you refereshed for the driving part, and let you get a bearing on Scotland generally.

3. You will not have aproblem getting places to stay in February. Tho' some seasonal places will be closed, those that are open will not be busy.

4. Route? Edinburgh, Inverness, Skye, Oban, Stirling, Glasgow (tho' personally I'd leave out Inverness)

$85 per head or per room or for the whole group?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Russ

The routing of the previous reply might be a little round about.
Go to aboutscotland.com and click on maps. The click on Touring Routes in upper left. That will give you an overall map with a tour route hi-lited in red. You can click on different segments of the red and it will give you a smaller map with mileage of thAt segment and site seeing info.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:42 PM
asd

Me, I'd take Sheila's advice. I'd do Edinburgh first then pick up the car and continue from there. No need for a car in E'burgh.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:55 PM
janis

I would take the train from M'ster to Edinburgh and start out there with a car after your city stay. OR, you could pick up the car first and go clockwise and end up in Edinbrugh, turn the car in there and after a few days take the train back to Manchester.

The main thing is the drive to Edinburgh from Manchester and driving and parking in the city will be difficult - especially after an overnight transatlantic flight. The weather is likely to be pretty bad and driving that long distance right off the bat will be VERY taxing. (I have driven all over the UK for years - probably 25 trips - with no problems but I would wait to pick up a car until after my stay in Edinburgh)

I also agree to skip Inverness and use the extra time on Skye or in Edinburgh.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Karen

Except by going straight to Edinburgh, you miss the Lake District. If you haven't seen that, it's worth a day since you will be driving north anyway...Ambleside, etc., lovely, although this time of year you won't enjoy how green it is as in the spring. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!