Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting in Switzerland, driving to Croatia

Feb 16th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Is this possible? I've read that it is but I'm wondering what the best, and cheapest, way to do it is. I'm flying into Zurich in July and just want to rent a car and go.
Feb 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM

make sure you can take the car into Croatia, call the rental car co.
Feb 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM

"Best" and "cheapest" are not always synonomous -- in fact, rarely are they. If you really just want to rent a car and go, you have made that decision. As already recommended, be sure you can drive a car to Croatia (and through the other countries you plan to traverse to get there). I have done this and found a car to be much more convenient in Croatia and all of the other parts of the old Yugoslavia. But do some homework, study where you would like to go, get maps and be sure you don't plan to drive too far in a day, and make reservations ahead of time unless you are a real adventurer. In summary, it appears you want to explore, and to do that you will find a car to be the best way.
Feb 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Right now I can find rates around $600 USD for two weeks, which I'm happy with. I just wonder what type of surcharge I'll get for wanting to drive into Slovenia and Croatia. Do you know which rental car companies would allow me to drive into these countries for a fee or otherwise?
Feb 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Contact Autoeurope, they work with most of the rental car companies and will find one that will allow you to drive into Croatia.
They may get a better price for you as well.