COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Renting cars in Rome

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:35 AM
First_time

Renting cars in Rome

I plan to be in central Rome for a few days and then to leave it by renting a car and heading generally in the direction of Naples. My travel agent has suggested that my best plan would be to take a train or taxi to Fiumicino/Da Vinci airport and pick up a rental car there, rather than getting the rental in the city and fighting traffic all the way out. I am not concerned about the 12% surcharge that is applied to airport rentals. Any advice?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Ed

If the 12% gouge doesn't bother you by all means rent at the airport. It's not all that difficult to get out of Rome, but it can be a bit daunting to some. At Fiumicino you're quite near the GRA (Grand Ricordo Annulare ... ring road) and you can be heading in any direction in minutes.

Ed

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Leslie

We're also picking up a rental car in Rome at the central railway station and heading north to Orvieto. With two kids in tow I don't really want to hassle going all the way to FCO to pick up a car...BUT are we crazy to try exiting Rome this way?????

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:10 AM
nancy

variation on this theme;
Would it be less complicated picking up our rental at the Termini rail station, or at another "in-town" place (via Lombardia ) ?
Is the railstation more of a "zoo"?
We are not worried about getting out of Rome, afterall, one does not see starving ,frantic,crazed tourists driving around Rome in circles, for days at a time, Does one?!
thanks if anyone has any info!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:56 AM
Max

Just to let you know that Naples it's very caothic regarding traffic. I just arrived from there and let me tell you, I rented a car to dirve from Florence to Pompeii and then to Naples, everything went perfect until our arrive in Naples, I mean, nothing happened to us except the stress to be in such a caothic city. I would recommend to anybody to saty in Pompeii (it's an small charming city) rather than stay in Naples.

Good luck.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 05:09 AM
Paulo

I never had any difficulties driving out from Rome and I don't remember ever using a map to that effect. All there is to it is to follow signs (green Autostrada ones or to cities). Even if one doesn't take the "best" direction, sooner or later one's going to hit the GRA (ring) and from tere on it's a piece of cake. I con't see how one may get lost (if one drives more or less on a straight line in any direction one has to hit the GRA). Driving into Rome and finding a hotel is a completely different story. Regarding traffic, if it's bad it'll be so also for the taxi driver.

I don't think it makes much difference picking the car up at Termini or elsewhere (e.g., Via Veneto area). The car rental office will give you directions to start off. Take it from there.

Paulo

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 05:45 AM
cheryl

I go to Italy 2 times a year .When I go in May I decided to take the train from Rome back to the airport and pick up the car and then go on to Naples.I usually pick up the car in Rome and had no problem driving out. I have to admit that once I picked up the car at the train station and would never do that again. Driving out was easy but walking down a street trying to find where your car was located was a pain.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
Celeste

Personally, I found driving in Naples much, much easier than I expected based on comments I had heard. All it required was my undivided attention. Yes, scooters and motorcycles are passing on both sides of you and at all speeds. Other drivers are aggressive and will zip into any space you leave. But I found them to be very kind to drivers who were obviously out of their element as long as those drivers stayed to the right and let them pass to the left. And in three weeks there I didn't see one accident!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:49 PM
joy

We have rented a car from the airport several times. It is very well sign posted and organized. DO NOT RENT A CAR IN THE CITY AND EXPECT TO FIND YOUR WAY OUT STILL A SANE PERSON!!!! The road to Naples is easy to find, and there are some nice stopping areas along the highway. What a fun trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:17 PM
DebiC

A different scenario...We are driving into Rome from the north (Sienna) leaving our car at the train station and then taking taxi to hotel (Santa Chiara) are WE crazy or is there a better place to leave the car off? We are renting from Autoeurope if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Stacey

While in Rome in Oct. I rented from Europcar (Via Lombardia) - although I had to wait 45 min. for my car (Sat. morning), the people were nice and helpful, and gave us good directions. We got to Florence with no problems - the roads are well labeled, unlike many American cities! We are off to Rome on 3/13, and we're renting from them again and renting a car for one day (daytrip to Siena). Europcar also seemed to be the only car rental company that would rent for 1 day!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:12 AM
Bob

A number of the car rental agencies have pick up locations at the Tiburtina train station in Rome. Its easy to get to, its close to the start of the A24 autostrada and would be much quicker to Naples than backtracking from Fiumicino. Also, you avoid the 12% tax.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:14 AM
nancy

Paulo,
Just got back to this thread.
thanks for the reassurance.
We will leave this as is, and go with the flow.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Lori

We picked up a car at FCO then headed north into Tuscany. After returning to Rome, we drove into Rome and dropped car at Villa Borghese, then took a cab to our hotel. It was very easy to drive into Rome as long as you realize that the lines on the road that separate the lanes are just for looks! Just have good directions and plow your way through.