COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting car in Cote d' Azur " superficial question"

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:51 AM
scott

I will be in the South of France for 10 days. When I checked to find out how much $$$ the car rental was, I was shocked. I was expecting it to be a lot more. So out of curiosity. I enquired on a up-grade rental, such as a BMW or a Mercedes, once again I was shocked to find out how reasonable the car rental was. Only about 25% more. We will be doing a lot of driving ,so I thought why not. Is there any reasons this may be a bad decision, such as theft etc.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Rex

Of all the places in Europe where a bigger car is NOT a problem, the Cote d'Azur may well be at the top of the list. Rarely any tiny little streets, and nice cars (as opposed to cars from Nice! - - wink) are so abundant that you will be protected against theft by "herd immunity".

Best wishes,

Rex

Go for it!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:28 AM
wendy

Why not go all the way!? I was there 2 days ago and saw a beautiful new 4 door JAG sitting there, gorgeous.

Wendy

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Sherry

Along the same lines. I rented a compact (two people) in Nice. The car company is having a special and upgraded me to a station wagon. I need an automatiic, so I am somewhat limited. When I wanted to change to my original car, it was more money. I did not consider the size, but the car will of course be open(all those windows) and that does concern me. Would it be safe to leave ANYTHING in the car for fear of a break in.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Wren

Don't miss the 17 km drive from Nice to Monte Carlo along the sea! It is absolutely spectaclular and a driver's paradise!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 10:58 AM
StCirq

<<Is there any reasons this may be a bad decision, such as theft etc.>>

Autotheft and theft of items from autos is a serious and growing problem in the south of France, and I would have to guess that a BMW or Mercedes would be a better target for a thief than a Renault Clio. I would take all precautions possible: cover over any stickers that indicate it's a rental, don't leave anything of any value visible inside the car, don't leave valuables in the trunk, and keep a local newspaper or grocery bag or something that might make it appear that you are a resident of the area visible on the dashboard or seat.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Capo

I agree with StCirq; I'd certainly think a Mercedes or BMW would be a more enticing target for a French evildoer than a relatively nondescript economy car.