Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   renting an apt in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/renting-an-apt-in-paris-965300/)

harvmatic Feb 1st, 2013 05:26 PM

renting an apt in Paris

I will be renting an apt in Paris for the first time in April, and the total cost is due 60 days before travel. Would travel Ins cover the cost of the rental($3000), if I could not go and it was for a covered reason, such as accident, illness etc ? and my policy was for $3000.
What if I get to Paris and the apt is trashed, or is not available....................then I have to take it up with the rental agent ?

skatterfly Feb 1st, 2013 05:49 PM

My understanding is that trip cancellation insurance (the kind you'd also call "Travel Insurance") covers the non-refundable and prepaid amounts (such as your first deposit on the rental) in the event that you need to cancel for a "covered" reason (illness, death, accident, etc).

There are no policies for "the apartment was trashed" or fraudulent properties.

I think if you rent your apartment through one of the agencies that accepts credit cards for the deposit and it's seriously not what was represented or something was horribly wrong with the accommodation, you could refuse the charges with your credit card company. That's what I'd do, anyway. But I've rented several times over the last decade through VRBO (in london, paris, Vancouver, and California) and been extremely happy.

But since a lot of crooks are also phishing websites like VRBO and Homeaway right now (and asking for wire transfers as deposits) it makes the whole prospect of renting a property a little nerve wracking.

That said, many many (probably most) agencies and private homeowners are reliable and ethical and take a lot of pride in their vacation rentals, and they don't take credit cards so they will ask for either a check or----cringe---a wire transfer.

My advice... really check out the reviews of what you're renting. Speak directly to the agent or the owner (on the phone number listed on the VRBO listing.) Don't just exchange emails because there have been some very highly publicized cases of the emails of Homeaway getting hacked.... so really check it out. Look at the location on google maps. Re-read the reviews. Look closely at the contract. And feel it out before sending any deposit.

Or... find one of the few agencies that takes credit cards (like Paris Vacation Apartments or Paris Perfect) but my sense is they're probably already booked for April.

Good luck.

harvmatic Feb 1st, 2013 06:39 PM

Thank you so much. I already have a rental with Vacation in Paris and they seem legitimate and have lots of online testimonials. I have spoken with them and they accept credit cards,and my only concern is that if I need to cancel, my travel insurance would reimburse something other than airline tickets etc. I have contacted them also.

Guenmai Feb 1st, 2013 06:45 PM

I rented an apartment through Vacation in Paris and things turned out fine. As for travel insurance, there is fine print to read as policies are different. I buy travel insurance and have used different companies and have had different situations with different companies when I had to cancel.

Have fun!

Happy Travels!

Seamus Feb 1st, 2013 07:34 PM

Every travel policy is different in what it covers. If you have not already purchased look at a site like insuremytrip.com (gets lots of positive reviews here, including from me) where you can select a policy that offers the coverage you want. If needed they have a toll free number you can call for assistance.

On terms of amount paid out in a claim, again it depends on what coverage you buy. If you buy a policy with a $3000 total benefit that is the maximum it would pay for all losses combined - airfare, apartment, anything else you could not get refunded in the event of a cancellation.

VIP is a well established agency that has received lots of positive reviews here (again, including from me) and I would not worry about the very tiny possibility that something might go wrong with the property you are renting - they are known for good customer service and you will have a local contact as well as the US office number if you run into problems.