Renting an apartment--the tradeoff between size and location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've narrowed down apartment rental choices for Paris next month and now need to finalize my plans. I can't have both good sized and best location. (Well I could but I'm not willing to pay the money.) What's your experience been? Have you ever gone for the smaller size in the prime location but regretted you didn't have more space? Or, have you ever opted for the more spacious apartment but after arrival wished you'd picked a better location?

All of the apartments I'm considering are in at least safe, convenient and ok locations. But, some locations are obviously more desirable. Normally when we (there are just 2 of us) stay at hotels we tend to opt for the hotel that isn't as nice in the better location versus the comparably priced but nicer hotel that is in not such a great location because of the fact that all we do is sleep there.

However, with an apartment I'm wondering if I should rethink this and factor in size. Obviously, for the same price, the larger apartments aren't in such highly desirable places. We'll be in the apartment for a week and a half, and I know we'll be sitting around it some evenings because we do plan to do some cooking (or rewarming from traiteurs anyway). So I want something fairly comfortable for some spreading out and lounging around. And, I really don't know how much time we'll actually be spending in the immediate vicinity of wherever we stay anyway.

What have you chosen, and have you been okay with your decision?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM

My husband and I have been doing apartments for a long time...lots of them.

I am a little confused about what you mean by "size". For the two of us, it is either, usually, a studio or a one bedroom.

In the former, you ARE living, essentially in one room, but it will be larger than a hotel room, and the "kitchen" part will be separated at least by location.

We had studios in New York City, Montreal, Cedar Rapids, Lima, Sydney, Port Douglas, and Florence, that I can remember. They were fine. In Hawaii, we usually get a one-bedroom and we have also had that in Vancouver.

I thought our space in the studios was, as I said, larger than a hotel room and much more comfortable and convenient.

I never thought of the space/location dilemna, but I would choose the location, now that you ask me.

I just rmembered, we had a disaster in Lisbon. Was supposed to be a two bedroom apartment (we had friends traveling with us) and it turned out to be in a terrible location and had been rented as a "pad" for itinerant students , etc.

I say take the location....FWIW...have a great trip.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM

For the two of us with our son visiting part of the time, we chose a one bedroom in the 7th.As for size- it is bigger than a hotel room, we were able to get size & location for the money.
We were perfectly happy with our apartment and the neighborhood.
If you want to see it, go to ParisPerfect.com and look at Pomerol.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Hello julies,

It sounds like you may have answered your own question: "some spreading out and lounging around."

I have found some studio apartments are no more than a regular size hotel room with a very small area that has a hot plate and mini refrigerator considered to be a kitchen.

A big reason we rent apartments is to have the extra room, especially for stays of like a week or so. 24-7 in the same small room gets a little cramped, IMHO.

Of course the old addage of "location, location, location" comes to mind. But if it's evenly weighed (as you say, both types are in safe, convenient locations), I'd opt for more room.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM

I remember looking at that one.It's very nice but a little out of my budget. I found another in the 7th that looks real nice and more suited to us. I hope it's as nice in person.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Jrandolph--

Yes part of this is the trade off between a one room studio and having at least an alcove for a bedroom. I've already eliminated places that expect you to just sit on the bed or hard chairs at a table so I woulodn't be in that situation. I know these studios are larger than your typical European hotel room, but I am wondering if I actually decide to spend a number of evenings in it if I will be wishing for more room.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM

I decided to go for size - 120 sq meters, 4 bedrooms, for 7 people, and it turns out that we will be in what looks to be a delightful neighborhood. So, maybe you will be pleasantly surprised, too. Go for size - nowhere is that inconvenient to get to, and what may be a great location for some may not be for others. For example, I did not much like the 5th when I lived in Paris, but many folks do...
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:44 AM

I do not understand how anyone can describe a hotel as being a place where they "just sleep." That, alone, comprises at least one full third of most anyone's twenty-four hour day. And obviously, it is much more than that if the location is that important in some instances.

And now you are talking about an apartment. If this is only a place where you "just sleep" then who cares how big it is or where it is located?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM

In other words, Julies, if it is where you just sleep then flip a coin...
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:58 AM

julies,

For a ten night stay, I would go for the extra room. The only time I would opt. for a better located, smaller studio would be if it was a first visit AND you were staying 5 days or less. What two neighborhoods you are considering?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

As I stated, the issue is that this will be more than a place where we will just sleep. It is the hotels that we never plan to spend much time in other than sleeping.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM

This is a personal choice.

Myself, I'm pretty happy in spartan but clean surroundings, so I'd go with location every time.

Seriously, you will probably spend a lot less time (and cooking!) than you think in the apartment.