Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   renting a villa in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/renting-a-villa-in-tuscany-849433/)

ekutler Jul 13th, 2010 02:02 PM

renting a villa in Tuscany

My wife and I are thinking of traveling to Italy next fall and renting a villa in Tuscany with another couple. I did an online search and found a number of companies that rent homes there. Any recommendations as to what sites to use to rent a Tuscany villa? And, also, any recommendations as to where in Tuscany it is best to rent a place?

Many thanks.

zeppole Jul 13th, 2010 02:21 PM

"Where" to rent in Tuscany has everything to do with how the four of you want to spend your time in Tuscany, and what interests you as individuals. It also might matter when you are taking this trip, since some areas of Tuscany give you access to the seaside while others do not (if you care).

If some of you have never been to Italy before and will want to see Florence and other art cities, you might want to stay in the north or the Chianti area.

If what made the 4 of you decide to spend all this money to go to the beautiful Tuscany you have seen in pictures, you probably want to go to the area of the val d'Orcia, south of Siena, which is mostly where those pictures were taken.

If you are going because you all love wine, you should pick the area that makes the wine that interests you. There is also golfing, outlet shopping, natural hot spring spas and a lot of hidden treasures in Tuscany --- so:

Where it is best to rent a place is where the four of you will get the most pleasure out of being in Tuscany. It's actually a rather large place, equivalent in size to a medium-sized U.S. state.

bobthenavigator Jul 13th, 2010 03:42 PM

Yes, Tuscany is large---I see 5 distinct geographic areas in Tuscany. I suggest you get a good guide book and see what most appeals to you. My best advice is to do that before you ever look at a rental property.

iris1745 Jul 13th, 2010 03:53 PM

Hi; www.tuscanynow.com villavacations.com parkervillas.com and slowtrav.com We used villa vacations and the other was direct to the villa. Both were larger that you need. As Bob said. a good book and a map. Richard

iris1745 Jul 13th, 2010 04:43 PM

P.S. Tuscany Now could charge a surchage in 2010, but not in 2011. Need to read the booking conditions.

montalto Jul 19th, 2010 11:14 PM

The historic Castle of Montalto lies in one of the most unspoiled parts of the Chianti area of Tuscany, not far from Siena. Centrally located for art touring, sight-seeing, winery visits and exploring hill towns and back roads. Part of the castle and the houses surrounding it are offered directly by the owner as self-catering vacation rental accommodations. The estate has a swimming pool, a tennis court, laundry facilities, private gardens and extensive woods for pleasant walks and jogging.
Silence and peace provide a restful environment, and a part-time concierge assists our guests. You will enjoy independence and privacy but not be isolated.

Giorgetto Aug 22nd, 2010 01:54 AM

I suggest this villa with private pool (exclusive use): http://www.agriturismocentopino.it/e...topino-en.html it is called Villa Tuscany there and is located between Siena and Volterra. You can book directly without agency.

SusieKay Aug 22nd, 2010 09:21 AM

I can recommend two US companies that I have personally used.
The Parker Company, and Untours. I believe the Parker Company just rents in Italy, and Untours offers rentals in multiple places in Europe, including Italy. If I take another trip to Italy, I would not hesitate to use either of them again. Both have excellent, user friendly web sites, and responsive, easy to reach staff for bookings or questions.
When we were in Tuscany, we stayed just outside a small town called Bunoconvento-south of Siena, and north of Montalcino.
We flew into Florence, spent a few days there to get our bearings and sightsee, then picked up the rental car and drove to our villa. We took day trips from there-and there was more than enough to see. Happy Planning!!

Mimar Aug 22nd, 2010 09:35 AM

Lots of good information at www.slowtrav.com: rental and rental agency reviews, tips on travel in Italy, and on what to expect from a rental.

Some people rent directly from the owner via www.VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner). I prefer the bit of insurance you get by going through an agency and by paying by credit card.

charnees Aug 22nd, 2010 11:37 AM

another place that you can look at is rentvillas.com. They are a broker, and the charges may be little higher. OTOH, they quote their prices in dollars, not euros, and you pay them in full before you arrive, (except for a security deposit if the owner wants one) so you don't have to worry about having cash when you get there. They also provide ample directions, and numerous telephone numbers, the names of the managers and/or owners, etc. We have used them several times and most of the places have been very nice.

Also, sleepinitaly.com.