I have a Verizon Droid Incredible. Verizon said when I called that this phone won't work on Italy's network, as they have a GSM network and this Droid is something different. (Sorry, not conversant with the terms.)
My confession is that I am addicted to my smartphone and if I have it with me, will not even need a laptop, which will save a lot of weight.
I just was on this summer in Italy website and saw a plug for http://www.cellularabroad.com/ Has anyone rented a smartphone from them? They have something calle "BLU" which looks kind of like a blackberry, and it is $79 for up to 14 days, but you have to buy a credit (they charge $26 USD for a 10 euro credit... um, maybe someone should let them know how far exchange rates have plunged???)
Anyway, here is another option: Verizon has a program for people traveling under 21 days to a country where they rent you a phone and a package. Probably will be about the same price - it looks on their website like 100MB is $25 plus voice is around $1.29 per minute. We mostly need the data, but it would be nice to have voice in case of emergency.
Has anyone tried either of these options?
Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to Malaga
- 2 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 3 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 4 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 5 First time in Spain
- 6 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 7 Paris Apartment
- 8 Visit to France
- 9 two days in Nice
- 10 Milan airport--which one
- 11 New fast track
- 12 Packing Champagne
- 13 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 14 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 15 Itinerary Help, Please!!!
- 16 Once upon a time in Italy
- 17 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 18 Private Driver in Malaga Spain
- 19 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 20 1st time to Europe
- 21 london or amsterdam
- 22 Arthritis treatment (Lisbon)
- 23 1 night in Algarve in January?
- 24 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 25 14 days in Portugal with teens and Grandma