renting a house in france

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Al

renting a house in france

Hi, we are planning a trip to France in oct/nov, and are thinking about renting a small place to use as a base for day trips. I would love some advice as to sites to check for rentals, and whether it makes more sense to rent a RV (small) instead to travel in , rather than a house, and a rental car. We don't have unlimited funds , but want a nice place. We have spent a little time traveling through the Alsace, and down to Baden , and would like to try to spend more time, less money, exploring. Thanks in advance for any help you might give. Al
PS, I'm happy to help with any questions about B.C., especially Whistler( my home) and Victoria, and East Kootenays( previous homes)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Mike

Try this web site: http://www.vacationvillas.net/

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:32 PM
xxx

BC--Do you mean British Columbia? I'd love to go there, but have no questions now because I have no trips to Canada planned.

I really loved the Perigord Noir and Lot areas of France. Other areas that sound like they'd be appealing include the Auvergne and Cevennes, but I've never been to either.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:35 AM
canuck

Hi Al...Ontarian here! We rented a great house from Vacances Provencales in Toronto...it was Mas Phyllis and we stayed there for a week doing day trips. It was in a teeny tiny village but well located. Their toll free # is 1-800-263-7152.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Jan

You could try www.cheznous.com . We have rented properties from their brochure on four or five occasions and always been pleased with them.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:28 AM
jen

www.gites-de-france.fr/eng/index.htm
Prepare to be overwhelmed!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:31 AM
steve

I also suggest you check the GITES site. It is organized by region - some of the regions have rather easy to navigate subsites, others are rather awkward. Search the Fodors site for Gites. Rentals are Saturday aft to Saturday morning.

If you are considering and RV, check the cost of an RV vs car and house. We recently went to Alaska and found the RV to be a much cheaper alternative to car and hotel

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:39 AM
John

Al, see http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/ - loads of France listings.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:43 AM
chris

with the price of fuel in Europe, I can guarantee that RV's are definitely NOT cheaper than hotel & car in France. Also all those charming villages would be a nightmare trying to negoitiate with an RV-no matter how "small".

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:47 AM
John B.

I just posted a number of related France links that include some of the ones mentioned already as well as others. Check it out at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
jj

We had good luck renting through www.gite.com in France this summer.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
FLJudi

We rented a place this summer through www.vrbo.com and were pleased. This site is Villa Rental by Oowner, and you deal directly with the owner, not with an agency, so prices seemed to be more reasonable - no middleman. Having been the chief driver for over 2000 miles between France and Italy, I will second the idea of not getting an RV, but a smaller car. We had a small minivan (4 adults and luggage) and spent about $400 on gas and tolls for 17 days. We couldn't have gotten into some of the lovely small old towns with anything bigger than this. I wouldn't have wanted to miss some of the most beautiful towns in Provence or Tuscany because the car couldn't maneuver.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Al

Hi all, Thanks for the sites. I'll check them all out. We drove from Frankfurt to Baden Baden and then across to Strausburg, and down the Alsace Valley 2 years ago. I know the roads are narrow. I just like the idea of being able to stop where ever we please. But, I guess I know that an rv would be too big. And then we would miss all of those incredible breakfast buffets that we enjoyed at the small hotels that we stayed at. Thanks again , and any other tips would be appreciated. Al from Whistler, British Columbia, Canada

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:25 PM
steve

jj - how about a report on your gite rental this summer