Reload this Page >

Renting a chalet in the Bernese Oberland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 04:55 AM
Paul Beltz

Hi! I've been reading the posts here with great interest as I'm doing advance planning for a summer '99 vacation which will focus on Switzerland, Bavaria, and Salzburg. <BR>Specifically, my question regarding the renting of a chalet in the Bernese Oberland. We want stay in this area for a week and enjoy hiking and just relaxing rather than trying to see every sight possible. <BR>My family includes daughters 8&11 and it seems that renting a chalet will be less expensive than a hotel, allow us to cut expenses by using the kitchen, and be much nicer. Has anyone rented an apartment in a chalet in the Grindelwald area? If so, what was your experience like? We will be trying to rent one which is outside of town and all of the congestion. <BR>Thank you.

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 05:02 AM
Anna

Hi, my husband and I will be travelling to Switzerland in October. I have been doing a lot of research and we plan to stay in Gimmelwald in the Bernese Oberland. It is the most affordable village in the area. Most tour books don't mention it, Rick Steve's (www.ricksteves.com)and Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com)do. They also have a web site (www.gimmelwald-news.ch), which lists the accomodations available. It is not in the same valley as Grindelwald, it is above the valley on the way up to the Schilthorn. You have to take a gondola to get there. <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 07:58 AM
bob Brown

We rented a vacation apartment in Lauterbrunnen for next month. We will be staying at Haus Horner run by Teresa Staeger. She is English, which I thought would be an advantage since my German is not up to speed yet. <BR>The address is Teresa Staeger, <BR>Chalet Horner ch 3822 Lauterbrunnen <BR> <BR>If you will prompt me in about six weeks, I will be happy to share with you <BR>the details of my trip. We will stay in Lauterbrunnen for a week, and then <BR>go to Saas Grund, close to Zermat, for 6 nights before returning. <BR> <BR>The rates for Chalet Horner are 125 francs nightly during July and August for a 4 person apartment. <BR> <BR>Right now the franc is going for a little less than 70 cents. <BR> <BR>Grindelwald also has a huge selection. <BR>I might have been better off there, but I selected Lauterbrunnen. <BR>I will know better after my trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 11:32 AM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Paul <BR>Don't have any direct information but check out the following web sites, and may be you will find what you are looking for... <BR>www.berneroberland.ch/ <BR>www.grindelwald.ch/ <BR>www.rooms.ch/ <BR>www.interlakentourism.ch/ <BR>www.muerren.ch/ <BR>www.wengen.ch/ <BR>www.travelfile.com/get?intrlkn <BR>www.swisspage.ch/ <BR>www.schweizferien.ch/ <BR>www.jungfrauregion.com/ <BR>Good surfing, Richard of HJickoryu Hills, Il..... <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 06:43 PM
Jim

Have been to the Berner Oberland area a few times over the last few years and am heading back there again in early October. While Grindlewald offers great scenery and all the posh accomodations, the smaller villages (especially Gimmelwald) give you much more of a true sence of 'losing yourself' in the Swiss Alps. For a real treat in the winter months, call the local Paragliding outfit, and jump off an Alpine cliff and take a half an hour to slowly decend through the falling snow to the valley below. You really can't go wrong anywhere in the Berner Oberland, or any part of Switzerland for that matter. If Interlaken is your base, and you're wanting to sleep in the Alps as remotely as possible for a night, be sure and take some food with you. Also, you may want to consider visiting Lugano. The Italian part of Switzerland. Happy travels. <BR>