Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Renting a car through Kemwel on the internet vs. the phone (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/renting-a-car-through-kemwel-on-the-internet-vs-the-phone-320265/)

jrjcolllins Mar 10th, 2008 09:38 AM

Renting a car through Kemwel on the internet vs. the phone

After much research (including the various buy/back programs) we finally rented a car on the internet through Kemwel for our 33 day road trip in France. The price was $831. Before booking, I phoned Kemwel and they quoted a price of around $1250 for the same car. For the $831 we got a Europcar. I had previously researched the internet rate for Europcar and they quoted $1290. Go figure!

NJrunr3 Mar 10th, 2008 09:52 AM

Are you renting and returning in the same spot? We're looking to rent for 14 days, but the prices are ridiculous. Apparently, there is a $600 drop off fee if you drop off in a different location than pickup.

jrjcolllins Mar 10th, 2008 10:03 AM

No, we're picking up in Deauville (Normandy) and returning to Nice railstation. Kemwel doesn't have a drop-off fee in France. I don't know about other countries.

kerouac Mar 10th, 2008 10:10 AM

Just for those who don't know, Kemwel and AutoEurope are the same company. One look at each website will convince you.

Michael Mar 10th, 2008 10:29 AM

If you are declining the CDW from the rental agency, make sure that you have two rental agreements. VISA and most other credit card companies will not provide CDW insurance for more than 31 days, and therefore you must somehow split your rental agreement even if you are not changing cars.

StCirq Mar 10th, 2008 10:36 AM

I have never, in 100+ European car rentals, paid a dropoff fee except when I picked the car up in one country and dropped it in another.

jrjcolllins Mar 10th, 2008 10:38 AM

We have an American Express card and signed up for their "premium car rental protection" at $24.95 per rental. Everything is 100% covered in every way including things stolen from your car. It is good for up to 42 days. A few countries are excluded such as Italy and Ireland. When you pay for your car rental, use the American Express card then their "premium rental protection" kicks in. I found out about it on www.americanexpress.com/pcrprew. If you get the wrong page when you click on this link, just type in the address instead and you'll get there.

ira Mar 10th, 2008 10:50 AM

Hi NJ,

There are rarely drop off charges for the same country.

Did you check www.kemwel.com, www.autoeurope.com and www.gemut.com?

((I))

ira Mar 10th, 2008 10:52 AM

Hi K,

Kemwel and Gemut are "associated" with AE, but not owned by them.

I often get better prices through K and G than from AE.

((I))

ira Mar 10th, 2008 10:59 AM

PS,

For example, for May 23/30 pickup at Strasbourg train sta,

Megane AE 345E K 290
207 AE 335 K 281

((I))

Sher Mar 10th, 2008 12:01 PM

We recently reserved a car from AE but later I checked the price and it was $200 less expensive from Kemwel. The rental is in France.

When I asked AE about matching the price they said they would not through AE but they would book the car through Kemwel since they are affiliates.

So we switched the rentals. I thought this was strange.

kerouac Mar 10th, 2008 01:12 PM

If you have not read previous threads, you would be well advised to use the AutoEurope sites in Europe rather than the American one -- if you set your country as Spain, Belgium or France, you can save up to 25% off the American rates.

And yes, it is totally legal. There is no restriction on finding the best price in international commerce in this part of the world.

Sher Mar 11th, 2008 04:46 AM

kerouac. I tried that for this particular rental and it wasn't less expensive using another country's AE site.

But I know that sometimes it is.

NJrunr3 Mar 11th, 2008 05:27 AM

We are renting in Paris and returning to Rome. The prices are ridiculous.

kerouac Mar 11th, 2008 05:43 AM

Very bad idea to do that. You should rent in Paris and return in Menton and then rent in Ventimiglia and return in Rome, thus avoiding an international drop off fee.