Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Renting a car in Venice and dropping it off in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/renting-a-car-in-venice-and-dropping-it-off-in-rome-1007480/)

bulldogs Mar 4th, 2014 07:46 AM

Renting a car in Venice and dropping it off in Rome

We are traveling to Italy in June with our two daughters, ages 11 & 13. We are starting in Venice and would like to rent a car when we leave Venice (on a Monday). Where is the best/easiest place to pick up a car in Venice? We will have the car for 12 days until we get to Rome at the end of our trip (on a Saturday). Where is the best spot to drop the car in Rome? We'll be coming from Tuscany. Thanks for any advice!

Michael Mar 4th, 2014 08:02 AM

If you use autoreurope.com or kemwel.com, you will be given several choices as to where to pick up the car. Use Google map to see which location is most convenient. It is generally not recommended that you drive into Rome. Drop off the car in Orvieto, visit the town, and then take the train to Rome.

HappyTrvlr Mar 4th, 2014 08:07 AM

Or drop off at the airport and take the train into Rome.

nytraveler Mar 4th, 2014 08:27 AM

As far as I know the only place IN Venice to pick up a car is the Piazzale Roma - at the end of the causeway into the city. Perhaps there are other places in Mestre or at the airport - but IMHO either would be a PIA with luggage.

We drop the car in Rome when we have one - but you need to be sure where you leave it doesn;t take you through a pedestrian zone.

Michael Mar 4th, 2014 09:28 AM

<i>Or drop off at the airport</i>

That requires driving around Rome. Orvieto is a short train ride from Rome.

dwdvagamundo Mar 4th, 2014 10:22 AM

Piazzale Roma is quite easy. For Rome proper, all depends on where your hotel is, although the advice to drop in Orvieto is good if your hotel is relatively near the train station.

Bamaman Mar 4th, 2014 10:53 AM

I dropped my Hertz car at the Orvieto train station, and took the 70 minute ride into Rome Termini. You don't want to drive in Rome.

Warning: The causeway going out to Venice has radar-traffic cameras, and there is zero leeway for those over the speed limit. Pay close attention to your speed to avoid getting a ticket in the mail 10-11 months later.

DeborahAnn Mar 4th, 2014 11:25 AM

We picked our rental up in Venice at the Marco Polo airport and I was not impressed with the company used. I think that time we rented through the broker Economy car rentals. They placed us with Advantage which shared space with Hertz--the company seemed very unprofessional in their customer service and the car we were given had seen much better days ;;). That was one of the few times we picked up and delivered to the same location. We now only use Autoeurope or kemwel since Economy car rentals cancelled our long standing rental with only a two day notice the last time in Italy.

If you are using a GPS then returning the car at FCO should not be troublesome. We've returned rental cars there two or three times. I would agree with the suggestions to drop off in Orvieto and take the train. Happy travels, Deborah

hanabilly Mar 4th, 2014 11:28 AM

The Hertz car rental drop off is just across from the train station - super easy and convenient, IMO.

bulldogs Mar 4th, 2014 11:56 AM

Thank you everyone! We will pick up a cat at Piazzale Roma and drop off at Orvieto. Will it be easy to get train tickets to Rome when we arrive in Orvieto or will we need to get them in advance? We'll use Autoeuropa again. Had luck with them in the past. And we'll watch our speed. Thanks for that tip.

bobthenavigator Mar 4th, 2014 01:24 PM

Good plan !
Use Hertz via Kemwel.com since the Hertz office is right near the train staion in Orvieto.

bulldogs Mar 7th, 2014 08:18 AM

Thank you everyone! I have one last question. When I try to rent in Venice through autoeurope or Kemwel it gives me 3 Piazzale choices: 1) 496 G Piazzale Rome, 2) Piazzale Roma 496/H, and 3) Piazzale Roma 496-E. I don't know Venice at all so I'm confused. Are these different places?

jamikins Mar 7th, 2014 08:20 AM

They are probably three different car rental companies all on the same piazza.

You will find out which one once you have paid and get the paperwork. Or you can call and ask them.

dwdvagamundo Mar 7th, 2014 09:15 AM

Call and ask, then do and print a Google map of the region, honing in on the one you want. Piazzale Roma is confusing as there are a couple of different parking structures and the bus station area.

bobthenavigator Mar 7th, 2014 10:26 AM

Call them to book.
The 3 locations are all next door in the same parking garage. The difference is the car vendor---you want Hertz because of the drop location, but they will know that.

bulldogs Mar 9th, 2014 11:24 AM

Done! Thanks to all for the great tips.