Renting a car in Italy with Hertz

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a car in Italy with Hertz

We are renting a car in Chiusi Italy through Hertz. We have contacted our CIBC Visa (Canadian) and they have verified that we will be covered for CDW using our credit card.

After reading some posts I am a little nervous that they will not accept this at the rental place.
Does anyone know if we will have any problem doing this.

Is is necessary to get an International Drivers license? A friend of ours says he has never had one and has had no problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:01 AM

It's an international driver's permit, not a license, and it is required by Italian law. Just because a friend has never "had a problem" doesn't mean he didn't violate the law. If you get stopped by the police or get into an accident, you'll be toast.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Hertz is pretty good about not forcing the issue of Hertz insurance on their car rentals.

I generally use their website to book a car, decline online and that's it.

Just sign paperwork at the car rental agency, and you're done.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM

Yes, you do need to get a driver's permit. For one thing, if you don't have it and have an accident, I would think that would violate the terms of the insurance.

We were once just flagged down randomly by the police on a secondary highway, and they were checking for the permits, which we did have.

It's not expensive and all you do is go to AAA and get one. they take your photo and fill out the permit form for you. I think it costs $35 or so now.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM

OOps. You are in Canada. Is there a CAA?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Rental insurance can be somewhat confusing. R Steve's clarifies the issues on this web page. Notice the heading, "Exceptions", of which Italy is one.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/carrental_cdw.htm
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:55 PM

I can't speak to the CIBC insurance question, although I have a different credit card (RBC - Canadian) and had no problem at all with Hertz accepting it for insurance purposes.

Go to your local CAA. You will have your IDP in about 10 minutes or less. It's required in Italy.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM

The Hertz office will most likely accept your card. If anything, call the International office of Hertz to find out for certain. Also, carrying a backup card is wise in Italy anyway.

BTW, we also took the train to Chuisi and rented a car there for our Tuscan part of our voyage around Italy. Don't expect the same level of service from Hertz as you are used to at home. They are all independent brokers... take three hour lunches, make you walk for blocks to go get your car (make certain alls scratches and dents are indicated on the paper work or drive back to the office and have them add the ones they missed.) There is a very good restaurant a block or so away from the Hertz office in case you have to kill time. If you can spend a little time before leaving Chuisi, check out the Etruscan Museum in Chuisi Alto up the hill.

Also, check out the stories about our Hertz adventures on our blog... --Jerry