Reload this Page >

Renting a car in Italy-Need Info.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Denise

Hi,<BR><BR>Can anyone recommend companies to rent a car?<BR>How is AutoEurope.com for prices? We will be traveling around the Lake Como area and will need a car for 7 days. How far ahead should we book? Any idea of cost?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Denise

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Wayne

Denise---You can typically wait until a week or so prior to your trip to book a rental car, but if your plans are firm, you should go ahead and book earlier. And be sure to get a written confirmation of your reservation. Usually, paying ahead of time by credit card can give you the lowest price. A weekly rate will typically be lower than a daily rate even for 5 or 6 days' rental. AutoEurope.com is one good source, and most persons on this site say they got their lowest prices there. But check the other major car companies by calling their toll-free numbers and asking for their special deals. Even on the internet sites of some of these companies like Avis and Hertz, it isn't always clear where the best deals are. Also remember that renting a car in Italy is the most expensive proposition in all of Europe, what with mandatory insurance and high basic rental rates.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Carol M.

Denise: We rented a car in Italy last May for 2 weeks from AutoEurope and it cost us $500 which even included the insurance. We picked it up and dropped it off from Milan airport after putting 1200 miles on it. It was a Volkswagen Pasat (sp?) just perfect for getting around all those narrow Italy streets. <BR>Have a great time! Ciao

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Steve bird

last year we booked ahead of time through Hertz for 2 weeks. All the companies wanted it pre-paid though refundable. The prices were comparable so we went with Hertz because if there were problem we could have a US company to deal with.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Leslie

AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com) is a U.S. company, based in Maine. They are a broker which I believe is why I always seem to get the best deal with them. We shopped around and then told them any prices that beat their quote. If they could verify the price I was claiming I found, then they came back with a lower price.<BR><BR>In Italy, they placed us with Avis, also a U.S. company. I've also used AutoEurope for UK and Ireland where they placed us with either EuropCar or Budget. Always satisfied with the service and price.<BR><BR>Last year we paid $250 for 4 days rental in Italy for a compact, with automatic transmision and air conditioning (including full insurance which is required, and any taxes). So, with Carol's experience to compare, you can see how a week's rental might be about the same as what we paid for 4 days. We had a fender/bender on a tiny hilltown street and there was absolutely no issue on return of the car. Whew!<BR><BR>Note: in Italy we prepaid in dollars, fully refundable, and there were no surprise charges. Returned the car with a full tank. In UK and Ireland, we paid a deposit in dollars and the balance was paid locally in local currency. The deposit was not reflected. So it was a little confusing to figure out our final bill, but once we did the conversion and computed how they figured the VAT into the deposit, we were comfortable that we were always charged slightly less than expected.<BR><BR>Since it is fully refundable, I see no reason not to book ahead.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Mooney

Denise, <BR><BR>I just last week booked on Hertz for $225 for 4 days, pick up in Milan and drop off in Venice (we'll be spending our time on Lake Garda). We went to AAA and they called around, got prices, then because they feel Hertz is the most reputable, they called Hertz and asked them to price match. They did and even beat it by a few $. <BR><BR>The thing I was told to be wary of was CDW insurance, which is required in Italy and not all online companies offer. Sometimes your credit card will have it, so call them and check too. <BR><BR>I had checked the internet and the best I could do was $270, so sometimes I still have to go with the old fashioned travel agent!<BR><BR>PS I just discovered this site and can't wait to start asking questions for my June 2002 honeymoon

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Leslie

It is my understanding that in Italy, you do not have the option of using the insurance through your credit card company.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:25 PM
StCirq

Denise: I've used AutoEurope for years, more than a decade, and have never been disappointed in the prices or the services. You need look no further. They have affiliates in some really remote places that other companies don't, they give great upgrades and discounts, and they are very responsive when there's a problem, which is seldom.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Bob

I checked with AMX about insurance coverage in foreign country to avoid paying locally. Italy and several eastern European countries are not covered when you charge on AMX.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Carolyn

We used AutoEurope in Nov for pickup in Rome and dropoff in Venice. We changed our minds and returned the car in Florence. Everything went smoothly and we were pleased with our AutoEurope experience; they had no problem with us changing our plans (no extra fees etc., and prorated our cost). I usually rent from Avis in the States; however, they wanted to charge a $1900 "security deposit" to my credit card (for a 6 day rental), in addition to the rental fees!