Renting a car in Italy

Search

Renting a car in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a car in Italy

My husband, two kids and myself would like to rent a car to get around Italy. We fly into Rome, then will be heading off to explore. What are e hidden costs I need to be aware of? Are the prices I find on websites all inclusive? Do we need insurance? Special drivers license? What companies do you recommend? Any car recommendations? Parking? Tolls? Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM

There shouldn't be any "hidden costs" if you deal with a reputable company. I always use AutoEurope, a broker. Since I have no idea what websites you're looking at, can't say whether the prices are all-inclusive or not, but why not pick up the phone and call and ask? Yes, you need insurance - and I believe on top of the CDW Italy requires theft insurance. You don't need a special license, but you must have an international driver's permit, obtainable at AAA. Since we have no idea how many of you there are or what sort of luggage you'll be bringing or where you intend to drive, specific car recommendations would be useless. Yes, you'll have to park and pay tolls. And Italian cities have zones you won't be allowed to even drive into, since you don't live there - if you're caught on camera doing so (and you will be), you'll receive notice of a hefty fine which you'll need to deal with (though you may not get the notice until a long time after the infraction).
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM

You need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) available through AAA (if you are in the US).

I use AutoEurope which is a consolidator; they will be able to get you a car size that you need. Their pricing is about the best. You prepay the car and get a voucher which you present to the rental company.

Some insurance, such as theft, is mandatory. I would suggest you be fully covered. Visa does not offer coverage you if you waive the CDW in Italy.

<< Are the prices I find on websites all inclusive >>

You don't say what sites you're looking at so no one can answer this question.

<< Parking? Tolls? >>

How can anyone comment on parking or tolls when we don't know where you're going. Use either viamichelin.com or mappy.com for toll prices but you'll need to know your routes first.

If you can be more specific you will receive more accurate answers. For particular questions on car rentals, such as whether or not the price is all inclusive, the best answers come from the rental companies.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We use www.carrentals.com as usually you pay at the car rental counter.

Most importand abour CDW.

You can buy CDW 'with excess' and that means you could be responsible for over $1000 dollars of damage.

Look for CDW 'without excess' that will take you too zero deductable or at least a reasonable deductable.

So just ask those questions.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM

Gas or diesel will cost about 3X the US, although you get better mileage. Tolls on the autostrade are expensive. You can pay with a credit card when you exit but it is a good idea to have a credit card with a electronic chip because mag strip cards sometimes don't work in toll machines, and train ticket machines for that matter. If you are going into Rome when you arrive, wait until you are done in Rome to get the car. For cities and even many smaller towns, you need to know if your hotel is in a limited traffic zone. If so you usually need to drive straight to the hotel and then they have to call or email your license number into the police within a short time after you were seen entering the limited zone by the camera so you don't get a ticket and bill months later from your rental car company. In picking a car, I like one with a traditional trunk so your luggage is not visible when you stop during the day. Either take your own GPS with European maps or you can buy a basic Garmin there for around $120. Have a great trip.