Renting a car in France

Search

Renting a car in France

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a car in France

I wonder if you have any recommendation in renting a car in France for little money each day?
THANK YOU
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM

We used Auto Europe before with a pick up and drop off in Avignon.
cheers,
CC
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM

You can also try Economy Car Rentals: https://www.economycarrentals.com/. Keep in mind that low cost rentals will be standard shift; there is a fairly steep increase for automatics. It is also cheaper to carry the optional insurance on your credit card, which will also eliminate the deductible. This usually requires that all transactions for the rental must be done with that credit card.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM

I've used AutoEurope for well over 100 rentals. Never had a problem. Excellent customer service.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM

I've also rented many, many cars through AutoEurope.

I rented one last week for 29 days in France. Here is something I posted last week on another thread about my negotiations with AutoEurope.

I called the AutoEurope long term agent & he quoted me a rate of $984 discounted to 915. That is less than the discounted rate on their web site (1,118 discounted from 1,385). Then I asked for a AAA discount, and they quoted me the exact same rate as Kemwell's posted internet rate - to the penny (886.21). I asked him what their relationship with Kemwell was, and he said AutoEurope owns Kemwell, and he wears two hats. I told him the AutoEurope discounted AAA rate was identical to Kemwell. I asked if Kemwell had a AAA discount, and he replied that the Kemwell rate is their lowest discounted rate. I also told him the AutoEurope Internet rate was 1,118, and he said I could pay that rate if I wanted to !!!

I asked him, if I had a problem would I deal with Kemwell customer service people or AutoEurope people & he said that they are the same people. Terms & conditions, & changeability are the same as AutoEurope.

I told him that I advise other people to call to get quotes - and he replied that that's the best way to go.

End of negotiations.

As others have mentioned, a Visa/MC Gold or better will provide CDW (insurance). Also, pay in full in advance using US Dollars (if you are from the US) and you'll avoid the bank's & Visa/MC 1 to 3% currency conversion charge. In past years, several months after I've reserved & paid for my car (but before I picked up the car) I've called AutoEurope to see if rates had dropped - and they did. AutoEurope re-wrote the rental for the new lower rate. This has happened several times.

Call AutoEurpe/Kemwell - don't just take the internet rate.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Stu, your long term rate certainly seems a good one. I'll have to try contacting the company directly.I've gotten separate quotes from Autoeurope and Kemwel and they were both higher than Economy the company mentioned by Michael.

Currently I am trying to decide between Autoeurope/Kemwel which we have used often in the past or economycarrentals. I like that economy does not charge for a second driver with their compact cars and the inclusion of excess insurance. I wonder if Autoeurope can negotiate the 2nd driver point as it may come from whichever supplier they use on site.

Thanks for taking the time to post again the report on your rental experience. I must have missed the other thread. Deborah
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all responses, I keep searching...
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM

AutoEurope for us too. How many days? That will make a difference. What are you searching for exactly.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Try sixt.com (one of the largest European rental firms) and nova.com.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

retchen, what I am looking for is the LEAST Expensive deal ! How many days? Well, depend of the price I find...Most it could be April 15 to May 8, but then I might make it shorter in order to save, I'll be staying with relatives in France, I don't really need a car every days, but in order to go visit some other relatives I will for several days minimum 10 days.
Thank you
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Just be aware of surprises you may get when the final invoice arrives. You should return the car with a full tank of gas, but several times the rental company (Europcar) charged me for gas - AutoEurope straightened it out for me. Another time, EuropCar processed someone else's return papers against my rental. The other guy returned the car in Tours, while we were still down in Provence. The other guy returned it with an empty tank of gas and also he took out insurance. That was a mess that AutoEurope finally cleared up after EuropCar refused to cooperate. I was also charged for a second driver, which did not happen and I did not sign up for - again AutoEurope cleared it up. There are other incidents.

The LEAST Expensive when you get a rate you like, may not turn out to be the least expensive if you have problems. If you find a good deal you are considering accepting, make a post here and see if someone who has rented from them had any problems with resolving any descrepancies.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I use Autoeurope and try to make sure I get the car through Europcar, from which I normally get the best service.