Renting a car in Chiusi Italy: tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to rent a car in Chiusi and heard that there is an Avis in that town. We will be coming via train from Sorrento/Naples, renting in Chiusi and driving to Pienza.

Does anyone have tips/ suggestions for renting ? I imagine that it would be best to go directly?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Usually no... you can save a lot by booking ahead of time. It's very rare to find a cheaper deal on the spot with car rentals.

You might want to check autoeurope.com as they are brokers and guarantee to meet any lower price you find eslewhere.

Rob
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM

pattytravel,
Check locations of rental agencies. I think Avis is a long walk from the train station but Hertz is only about a two minute walk.

Henry
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM

The information provided on this link should be helpful-

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/index.htm

Also check kemwel.com for car rental choices. They are a sister company to autoeurope but sometimes offer better prices with no deductables. Always check the deductables- not just the rental price.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM

pattytravel,

I picked up in Chiusi (a few years ago). Autoeurope with an Avis car. At that time the rental office was actually at an autodealer far enough away from the train station to require a taxi.

If you can be sure the office is the one that others say is within a block form the station, the Chiusi is a very easy place to pick up. Orvieto is also very convenient.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I also booked Avis in Chiusi, and the guys were very nice to even pick us up at the train. I called them in advance while at the train station in Rome and they met us right on time.

They were also very helpful with directions and getting us on our way and I've mentioned before, their office is right next to a big grocery store.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM

The Hertz office is directly across the street from the station. The Europcar office is a block and a half away.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM

StCirq,
Both Hertz and Europcar have moved.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

I think I prefer Hertz over Avis since I have a Hertz Gold account, so I'll have to check them out. I guess it's best to do the web search and then follow up via phone, no?

Also, isn't Orvietto a bit aways, Dayle?

Finally, I think I read some "not so good things" about Auto Europe on other forums, can anyone confirm??!
thanks all!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM

pattytravel,
There have been some negative posts on Autoeuropa a different company.

Henry
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM

People get Auto Europe and Europcar mixed up.

Auto Europe and Kemwil are rental brokers that search all the of options offered by rental car companies to find you the best rental based on your criteria. They both are extreemly helpful and are your best bet. I usually book through the website, but you can call them if you need extra help. They will also beat any other offer.

Europcar is a car rental company that has received some "not so good things" comments, especially from renters in France (although I have not had a problem with them).
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM

They've BOTH moved? To where?

What is Autoeuropa?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM

StCirq,
Autoeuropa - Sicily by Car http://www.autoeuropa.it/en/prenotazioni/index.asp

Europcar is now in Po Bandino, the other side of the tracks.

Hertz is on via Buonarroti, to the right as you come out of the station.

Henry
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Our plan was to rent a car in Siena and drop it off at Chiusi. I've tried autoeurope several times, and the reply is- we do not have a office/location in Chiusi. But if I want to rent a car starting in Chiusi and dropping off in Chiusi, they can accomodate us. I do not want to rent a car to leave in a parking lot for several days while we don't need it. My impression is that there are problems dealing with the locations in Chiusi, but I don't really know. Does anybody know the current situation with car rental/drop off in Chiusi is ???
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM

leuk2,
Have you tried calling autoeurope? There may be a glitch in the online system.

Henry
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Tt may be that the rental companies available in Siena are not the same ones available in Chiusi? Or, more likely, the day or time you have chosen for drop off in Chiusi is a time that the car rentals are closed- Sunday or during the lunch time closing.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Patti, Orvieto is a bit further south than Chuisi, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up in Orvieto and drive to anywhere in Tuscany. We drove down from Chianti to Orvieto and it was a great day. Stopped off in Montepulciano (a bit out of the way but not too much). Orvieto would be an hour from Rome via train. Chuisi about 1 1/2 hours as I remember. You will actually pass Orvieto on the way if you are coming out of Rome. Call the rental companies live and check.