Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Renting a Car (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/renting-a-car-189097/)

Dave Sep 12th, 2001 05:28 PM

Renting a Car

Need some advice regarding car rental. My wife and I are going to Venice in October for several days and hope to drive to Trieste and then into Slovenia. We fly back to the US via Milan. Any suggestions for car rental companies. Also, can you pick up a car in Venice?

Rex Sep 12th, 2001 05:38 PM

You can certainly rent in Venice, and drop in Milan, probably with no surcharge. I recommend you investigate these options: <BR> <BR>www.autoeurope.com <BR>www.its-cars-hotels.com <BR>www.kemwel.com <BR> <BR>or www.travelocity.com (though this site does NOT work well when you want to return a car at a diffferent city) <BR> <BR>The first two listed above are "brokers" and "consolidators" - - they don't actually rent you the car from them - - they book with you Hertz, Avis, National, Budget, Maggiore, etc -- who ever has the cars for you at the best rate. Almost always, they will save you money compared to renting from the car rental companies themselves. <BR> <BR>You will probably want to inquire up front that you want to go into Slovenia, because it might affect your rate - - or what company they can use to procure you a car. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Betsy Sep 12th, 2001 06:17 PM

We've used Auto Europe several times and are going to use them again in Italy in October. No problems ever. There is a 24/7 toll free phone number to reach the company in the US--we used it a couple of times to make changes to our reservation. Pick up/drop off in different cities (at least in the same country) is without additional charge.

Dave Sep 13th, 2001 11:20 AM

Thanks for the advice. I just got my quote back from AutoEurope...the same car is almost 2 times the rate of a rental I did last year in Germany. The Customer Service Rep. said that renting a car in Italy is very expensive due to high incidence of car theft and accidents. Amazing.

Andy Sep 13th, 2001 12:31 PM

Dave- we just used AutoEurope this past May in England--They are very good- <BR>And they are telling you correctly that Italy is is more expensive due to car thefts--if you rent in France,some car companies won't even let you drive into Italy-- <BR>Italy is on the same "high alert" area as Ireland and Israel. <BR> <BR>Just the fact that they will allow you to rent a car period is good..... <BR> <BR>Have a terrific time-(even gas prices are off the wall) .

sandy Sep 13th, 2001 06:09 PM

One of the reasons that car rentals are so expensive in Italy is that it includes ALL the insurance, which is compulsory. Also, the fast that you are wanting to take the car out of the country is adding to your cost. I have found that Auto Europe has the best rates, hands down. You can get lower quotes from other companies, but it most probably does not inculde all the insurance. Regardless, driving in Italy is really the only way to go if you want to see anything besides cities.

sandy Sep 13th, 2001 06:13 PM

P.S. I forgot to mention that when I was in traveling Italy with my 3 girlfriends (we are all in our 60's), we had a little accident. There was no problem with Auto Europe. There is a $0.00 deductible. In fact, I called the toll free number -- which put me right into Portland, Maine -- and the agent there told me that if any charges appeared on my credit card to let them know and they would issue a refund. Nothing ever appeared. I cannot recommend them too highly. Also, be sure to ask about a 'free' cell phone with your rental.