Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rented an Apartment in Rome, but Now I'm a Bit Worried About it...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I went to Rome in 2006 and rented a lovely apartment in Trastevere. We're going again in April, and this time we're taking our two teenage sons. The apartment we stayed at previously was not big enough for the four of us, so I needed to find something else. We rented last time using VRBO, so I looked there again and found a fantastic looking apartment, but it didn't allow the option to go ahead and book, so I put in an inquiry and moved on and looked at some others. I ended up on the rome capital apartment site, and saw the same apartment -- this time with the ability to book. So I went ahead and did it.

Now, of course, after making a deposit, I've heard very mixed reviews about this agency. I have no fear about the actual apartment -- there were glowing reviews from more than one site and it's perfect for us and our teenage sons -- but I can't help but worry about the agency. I can't back out and book through vrbo (I'd lose my deposit).

Does anyone have any insight into this agency?

Thank you.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Try not to worry about it. Most rentals go well through any agency. Where some agencies fall down is if there is a problem, but most people don't experience problems. Someone who *did* have a problem is much more likely to post a report in a travel forum than someone who had a positive experience.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM

It might ease your mind to speak with owner, who probably is the person advertising on VRBO (although that isn't 100% a sure thing).

Write to them just as you did to us, and ask for some reassurance about your booking. If that doesn't work, come on back and you'll probably get more ideas.

Just curious about a) how did you make your deposit, and b) does anyone report problems with this particular apartment? Or is it just the agency? Sometimes an agency represents a bad owner; that may be where the negative reviews have their source.

What kinds of negative things are reported?
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

That's a good idea -- I'll e-mail the owner. The reviews, the bad ones, spoke mostly about non-responsiveness when there were problems, such as cleanliness or lack of towels, and the like. One person said the agency had to make a last-minute switch due to flooding of the apartment they had originally rented, and the replacement was sub-standard.

There are not a lot of these, but the few I read were a bit disconcerting (especially the last one I mentioned). All the reviews regarding the apartment were wonderful. I would imagine if the apartment, itself, was fine, then there probably won't be any problems.

Thank you.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 02:23 PM

hey, yeah i really would try not to worry, Is there a name and number on the vrbo site? maybe just give her a call. With any rental there will always be a tiny tiny risk by 99/100 it should be fine as if something bad happens reviews will be posted online and the property will not last. So if you have seen this place with lots of good review its probaby fine. Also one person's bad thing (no towels for example) isn't a major problem for others.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM

I don't understand your concern about the agency but not the owner. He is the one who has made an agreement with that agency, so if you trust him, you should trust the agency. Why would you think things would be better if you booked the same apt through VRBO, it seems like it would be the same thing no matter what.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:51 AM

It's not at all logical to worry if that precise apartment has good reviews. It can be excluded that one owner is working with several agencies that WELCOME the guests, clean the apartment, respond to problems and so on. The owner may work with several apartments for the RESERVATIONS, but certainly not for servicing the guests, so wherever you book that apartment, you're going to get precisely the same service by precisely the same individuals. Just try to figure an apartment serviced by various agencies: guest A booked through agency X and leaves September 3rd; guest B booked through ageny Z and arrives that same September 3rd - how should they coordinate departure time, cleaning and arrival time if they cannot even realistically know of each others bookings? That wouldn't work. In reality, guest A is booking through agency X, guest B is booking through agency Z, both are dealing with the owner, and arrivals, cleaning and departures are done by agency Y that the owner always sends for that purpose; or by the owner him/herself; or by his/her grandmother... so the service at a certain apartment is completely independent from the question through which agency you're booking.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Confirm your reservation with the owner. "Flooding" is agency-speak for "double booking". If the owner has two bookings for the same days, one through an agency, to whom he pays a percentage, and one through VRBO, to whom he does not pay a percentage, it's the agency booking that is more likely to experience "flooding".
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I just sent them an e-mail. Their vrbo page shows the three days we rented as unavailable a day after we booked, so they won't be renting to anyone else from this point. I think we're safe.

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and reassurance. One thing is for sure, Rome will be amazing one way or another. I'm sure this will work out well. I have learned a lesson, though -- No matter how excited I am about something, I'm going to research the heck out of it before I book. : )