Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rentalcars (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rentalcars-1274592/)

WoinParis Apr 12th, 2017 01:13 AM

Rentalcars

Hi

I rent cars with usual suspects in Europe such as Europcar hertz avis or sixt fir business trips but have lately used several times Rentalcars.

The reason being that I find it quite easy since they are brokers and get similar if not better pricing than with each of the separate companies.

But the real reason is their after sale service which I find faultless having had to settle some problems (damage to the car, local using a strange currency rate).

I just write a mail with the evidence sustaining my claim and they settle it.

Result : I'll book my car from Pisa with them today.

Mfg

IMDonehere Apr 12th, 2017 01:45 AM

We have rented with many agencies over the years. And for some reason our car rentals have turned into adventures. These include leaving our rental car with the manager of the airport in Kayseri, Turkey because the car rental rep did not show up and getting the last car on the lot at rental facility in Italy where I only found the switch for one headlight.

The constant is charging it on AMEX, for which I get my CDW and a level of comfort of professionalism if a problem arises.

In recent years with the advent of the ever vigilant CCTV for errant cars ad drivers, exorbitant admin costs for a ticket from the rental companies, unfriendly rental car provisions, and practices bordering on fraud such as hidden fees that were never disclosed, we are now renting less and less.

Geordie Apr 12th, 2017 02:03 AM

I use rentalcars and I have a credit card which covers the excess and other travel insurance

I just rented a Ford focus at Heathrow for 13 GBP per day with hertz via rentalcars, very happy with the deal

Odin Apr 12th, 2017 03:24 AM

I use AutoEurope, RentalCars and Economycar rentals. I have separate cover with another insurer for car rental excess. So far have not had any surprises with hidden charges, tickets or such like but have had a plenty of adventures over the years with the car itself (flat battery in Pilanesburg Game Reserve for instance.) Would always rent a car when needed.

Dukey1 Apr 12th, 2017 03:43 AM

I once damaged a rental car in Hawaii. Because I had the rental car insurance I literally walked away from a huge hole in the automobile.

We once rented a stick in France; getting the car into reverse was anything BUT intuitive and I'm glad we got an explanation before we drove off the lot.

Christina Apr 12th, 2017 05:25 AM

thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of this company. I have used Autoeurope or Kemwel. So I checked them as I'm looking for a rental this summer in France, and they said they didn't even have any available at the location I wanted (Autoeurope does). Maybe they only deal with major cities or something, DK, it wasn't that weird a location -- Lyon Part Dieu train station.