RENTAL CARS in Italy

Search

RENTAL CARS in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RENTAL CARS in Italy

Traveling around Italy for a couple of weeks in late April. Any help regarding rental car?

Either "steer clear of these guys" or "this company was superb!"

Also, any helpful tips are much appreciated

EDIT: We've read up on ZTL and have planned around that with parking outside of the zone
TRIP ITINERARY: Driving to Florence from landing in Rome --> then onto an (as of now) undecided agritourisimo --> From there Lake Como for a few days, directly on the lake //swoon// --> Maybe Milan, Savigno and back to Rome

Last edited by dtravels; Feb 7th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Okay, I'll start.
Do you know about ZTLs?
All companies get a bad review now and then I stick to the majors, but you rarely need a car in Italy for most itineraries, unless you are doing something rural, in which case tell us about it, as I love to read about other people's plans.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

I updated in the original but here is the Itinerary

Driving to Florence from landing in Rome --> then onto an (as of now) undecided agritourisimo --> From there Lake Como for a few days, directly on the lake //swoon// --> Maybe Milan, Savigno and back to Rome
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 01:26 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
We've had bad luck with Hertz in Italy.

Also, read the fine print on your credit card if you're relying on it for insurance -- many of them have exceptions for Italy!
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 01:32 PM

I've had good luck with Hertz--four years in a row. See that's why I would not worry so much about it.
I'd get the car when departing Florence.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Check out Autoeurope and Kemwel. You can use these brokers as a base to compare other rental agencies both in terms of price and conditions.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
'Hertz' is not 'Hertz' like in the States - good or bad is merely anecdotal since Hertz locations in Italy are franchises so different management/ownerships.

>>Driving to Florence from landing in Rome --><<

Very bad idea IMO. Driving after an overnight flight is definitely not recommended. Take the train to Florence then after a good night's sleep (or after a few days in Florence), travel on to your agritourisimo
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 07:25 PM

Absolutely check AutoEurope. They are a broker, representing a few companies. We have rented directly from Hertz in Italy and Hertz through AutoEurope and it has been significantly cheaper with the latter, Especially if you want full insurance. I think we usually play about one-third to AE vs. buying the insurance at the Hertz desk. I have seen dozens of excellent reviews for AE on these boards, and have had many rentals without an issue, three last fall alone. I believe if you have issues with Hertz in Italy, you have to deal with the Italian company. AutoEurope is a reputable company based in Portland, Maine. Your credit card normally will cover you, even in Italy, so long as you don't accept any of the optional insurances (some are mandatory). But always best to confirm. However, we like peace of mind and don't want to deal with the hassle of a damaged car thousands of miles away and a credit card company that we have never dealt with on accident issues.
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 12:54 AM

AutoEurope. AutoEurope. AutoEurope.

Really BAD idea to land in Rome and drive to Florence. Why on earth would you do that when you can hop on a train? What on earth will you do with the car in Florence?
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes - AutoEurope (or sister company Kemwel) is the way to go. I meant to mention it in my post but was mostly concerned about your plan to drive to Florence on arrival. No reason to, and a car in Florence is a PIA.

Very few US credit cards cover rental cars in Italy so be sure to read the fine print . . .
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Another plug for AutoEurope. We had great service and experiences with them. Agree also on not driving to Florence, especially jet lagged!
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 08:17 AM

When we picked up a car at the Rome airport we drove to Tarquinia, which is worth a stop for its Etruscan museum and tombs. The drive is relatively short, using the autostrada along the coast.
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Review Website

AutoEurope is good and reputable, but they are still a profit-making company. Be sure to read the T&C on their insurance coverage, there are exclusions that may surprise. Also, there's a website that gives opinions and tips about car rental companies in Italy. https://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/12...for-italy.html
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:43 AM

But they are all companies which exist for profit... what am I missing?
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience having travelled with friends to Italy using brand names and gone on my own to Italy using autoeurope was USE AUTOEUROPE

They had to solve a bunch of little things, while my trip with "Hertz" and another was saddened as both companies tried to rip us off.

Really there is so little margin in the car rental business and a franchise at that you need autoeurope at your back
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:29 AM

AutoEurope and don't drive to Florence.

You have all of our best advice. AutoEurope basically saved us when my husband was arrested for speeding in Italy. AutoEurope fixed my trip when I ran into an Air France strike. We won't use anyone else if we can help it.

How are you driving to Florence? Where are you parking? Why pay to park outside the city? Why not take the train to Florence and then rent there?
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:44 AM

IME, Autoeurope always has your back and takes care of you quickly and efficiently when things go wrong. And having clocked something like 200+ rentals with them over 30+ years, with a few broken side mirrors, a supermarket parking lot smash-up, and kids who trashed my trunk with soccer balls, I kind of think I know the score. I once rented directly from Europcar and it was a disaster. If for no other reason than AutoEurope has a 24/7 English-language help line, they are the best option around.