Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rental cars/entertainment/hotels in Turkey

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Kris

A couple more questions about Turkey as I'm trying to finalize the plans.

It seems like there isn't a lot of choices for rental cars. We're picking up at the Kayseri airport and dropping off at the Antalya airport. The only "reasonable" rates I've found is Auto Europe (Hertz is astronomical), does anyone have another suggestion?

I'm thinking of not reserving the hotels in advance for the couple of nights between Cappadocia and Antalya so we can have a little flexibility. Should this be a problem in late May? We'll just be looking for a clean place with a shower, not a resort.

And finally, has anyone seen the whirling dervishes in Istanbul, not a tourist show but a traditional one? Lonely Planet mentions a performance on the last Sunday of the month at the Mevlevi monastery. Has anyone seen this or can anyone provide me with specifics (time, advance tickets necessary?) I was also interested in seeing a belly dancing show, one of the guidebooks lists Orient House as a good place to see a show. Any other recommendations would be helpful. Thanks!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:55 PM
sinan

Dear Kris,

First I have to say that you can find MEVLEVI dance in CAPPADOCIA too. LAst year when I was in Cappadocia oen of my friend recommended me to see this show in CAPPADOCIA, It was as same as the one in ISTANBUL tha Lonely Planet mentioned. If you want to go to the one in Istanbul you have to arrange your seat (TICKET) before the show.
I've been travel businnes almost for 25 years so you may not have any problem to find hotel between Cappadocia and Antalya unless you want special hotel like The cave hotel in cappadocia or old house in Antalya.

I have no idea what company did you rent your car but I am sure that you can find many company but i am nit sure about their policy. Here is my web adress if you want I can help you.
http://www.traveltoturkiye.com./rent.htm
if you have any question please don't hesitate to write me

Mehmet Sinan Akdeniz

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Terry

My wife and I are also going to Turkey in May. After much searching and a lot of help from the good folks at this web site we booked a car thru Auto Europe. A note of caution, you pick the car up in Kayseri -NOT AT THE AIRPORT I called to verify this. Not sure how far the town is from the airport but can't be too far. We have used auto europe in the past and have had very good luck with them and yes, they do seem to give the best rates.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Kris

Thanks Sinan and Terry.

Terry, the email I got back from AutoEurope says that the rental office is 4km from the airport. I assume that we will be able to take a bus or a taxi once we get to the airport.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Kris

Terry, I just tried Budget car rental and their rates were about $20 less than AutoEurope. I assume this is because we are renting for less than a week and the AutoEurope quote is for a weekly rental. You might try getting a quote from Budget, AutoEurope says that they will match rates if you are more comfortable using them than Budget.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:24 AM
sinan

Kris,

There is no bus at the KAYSERI AIRPORT
and as far as I know Kayseri airport was MILITARY airport 2 or 3 years ago they built a building there and when I was there 3 years ago there were no TAXI. But you can request your car to airport I am sure that the company working with your car rental agency will arrange this request. Airport is not far from city center but I am sure that you will drive to cappadocia. Let me give you advice when you go to Kayseri VISIT also KULTEPE I used to work there you will see the ruins belongs to HITTITE dated 1500 BC and DON'T FORGET to visit CIFTE MEDRESE now is a MEDICAL MUSEUM you have ever seen anthing like this in your life. I am sure you are using LONELY PLANET you can find information about these place.

Have a nice trip (drive carefully)

Sinan Akdeniz

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Patrick

We rented our car in Keyseri from AutoEurope, which was actually done through Sixt, but returned in Kusadasi to Europecar. This was in 2000. A representative of Auto Europe met us at the airport in Keyseri with a sign and our name (actually it said MR. PATRICK, rather than my last name). He then drove us to the Sixt car agency in town. Check this out with Auto Europe, I assume they are still offering this service.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Kris

Patrick, I emailed Auto Europe and apparently that lovely service has stopped. They suggested a taxi from the airport. In any event, I'm sure there will be some way to get from the airport to Kayseri, I can't imagine an airport without any form of transportation. It's always nice to have an idea in advance though.