Search

Rental car vs. trains-budapest, salzburg, prague

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental car vs. trains-budapest, salzburg, prague

Hi all.

Ok, first of all, we have changed our itinerary...we think we'll drop Vienna and add Prague. Comments? My boyfriend just really wants to see Prague, and I can't really argue since I have seen both. But, I would like to see Vienna just after x-mas and new years (are the decorations still up a few days after New Years?).

Second, we are thinking now of driving from BUdapest so that we have flexibility in our schedule. Arranging trains just seems to be expensive and a pain, plus without the flexibility. BUT, our biggest concern is safety of driving on these roads during the winter (particularly in Salzburg and in the mountains). We also aren't sure with whom to rent....who's cheapest and most reliable? Are all the cars stick-shift?

This is our tentative new itinerary:

Dec 29-Jan 1: Budapest
Jan 2: drive towards Salzburg...maybe stop in Melk on the way/Wachau Valley...stay over night.

Jan.3: Salzburg
Jan 4: Salzburg area
Jan 5: day in Salzburg area...head to Prague
Jan 6: Prague
Jan 7: Prague
Jan 8: Danube Bend
Jan 9: flight out of Budapest

What do you think? Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM

The Danube does curve and bend a lot...

If by "Danube Bend" you mean the Visegrad area, it's certainly worth a visit. I just don't know how accessible the area would be in the winter.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:55 PM

I can't imagine that the train would be more expensive than a car rental with its heavy cross border drop-off fee.

I do not think that the Visegrad area is worth a visit in the middle of winter. But it can be a couple of hours' stop on your way west if you are going by car.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Michael,

Why do you say it's not worth it in winter? Because the roads are bad or because not that pretty in winter or because sites are not open???

And we will be dropping the car off in Budapest (where we picked up)....are you saying you have to pay extra for taking it into Austria and Czech and then back???
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Hey, do go to Halstatt when you are in the Salzburg area. We loved our stay there. It was like a vacation in the middle of vacation. A relaxing break from all the sightseeing. Halstatt is the real "Sound of Music country"

Vandy
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Vandy! We were thinking of going there, but that raises the Q that I am getting to in this post...easier to get their by train or car? And, are the mountain roads hard to traverse in the winter?

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I don't know how the roads are in the winter, and I've never been to Prague or Hungary, but I think that the Salzkammergut area would definitely be better by car. The train to Hallstatt from Salzburg, for instance, does not have a direct route and can take quite a while. A car would give the freedom to stop and visit some towns easily. The whole area is simply gorgeous. And I just loved the Wachau Valley. It may be too cold to do this, but the boats that run up and down the river are great for sightseeing.

That being said, again I'm not sure how the roads are in the winter.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tracy!

Anyone else know about the roads or cheapest place to rent?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM

lmedley, the Visegrad area is very pretty in the summer. The castle is nice to visit, but will not take more than an hour or so. I can't see the area as attractive without the green, and I like snow country. There are not many indoor places to see, and it could be very cold. As I said in my report, I think that the Visegrad area has a nationalistic appeal that irrelevant to the ordinary tourist. As for car fees, I did not realize that you would be returning the car to Budapest.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:48 AM

I always rent from Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.com). They have wonderful customer service and great rates, and there are no problems traveling through central/Eastern Europe with the cars as long as they are notified ahead of time.

Tracy
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM

We did not rent a car. We had a Eurail pass so we took a train. Yes it was not a direct train. We had to switch trains in between. But the scenary was amazing and so was the boat ride across the lake. Halstatt itself does not need a car. Its very walkable.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:58 AM

"Anybody know about cars or a cheap place to rent them?"
I always get one of the French lease deals - Citroen, Renault or Peugeot - it's the cheapest option by far, even factoring in cross-channel ferry fees and over-the-border drop-off fees. But I think your itinerary might be a bit short to qualify?
Worth bearing in mind though if you ever go there for a longer holiday (17+ days).