Rental car Tuscany to Milan

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental car Tuscany to Milan

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rental car website. We are looking at taking the train from Rome to Tuscany with a drop off in Milan. Suggestions are welcome!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:01 AM

You mean that you want to travel by train from Rome to Tuscany (supposedly to Florence), than drive from Florence to Milano? I would rather do the other way round. The landscape from Rome to Florence (especially if you take your time and avid the main roads and Autostrade) is lovely, while driving from Florence to Milano you re bound to meet huge traffic and less interesting scenary.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Autoeurope.com seems to have the best rates. We rented a car and drove from Rome to Venice and loved it. I would agree with the earlier post and spend some time driving through the hills to Florence. Once you get north of Florence is flattens out and you don't have nearly the view.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! We will actually be taking the train from Rome to Siena first. We will drive to several cities in Tuscany and make out way to the Lakes and Switzerland before departing out of Milan after ten days!!
Autoeurope is great - I'm all booked with an Alfa Romeo!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! We will actually be taking the train from Rome to Siena first. We will drive to several cities in Tuscany and make our way to the Lakes and Switzerland before departing out of Milan after ten days!!
Autoeurope is great - I'm all booked with an Alfa Romeo!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:10 PM
MD

We rented our car from the little airport outside Florence. We had been doing the train thing up to Florence.

There's a bus to the airport from right beside the train station, so it was easy to get there; start our driving outside the city.

We drove back past Florence, out to the coast and had a look at Carrara marble quarries. Then up the coast a way and up over the mountains, by autostrada. Depends how much time you have...

We got lost trying to get to the main train station in Milan, but eventually found it. Then we had to find the parking for the rental place inside the train station drop off (sign was knocked over...). We eventually found an automatic gas station since at 10PM, nothing was open. It took 10 or 50.000Lira notes. I wonder what they take now...? Keep some small change and bills handy if you want to return the car late with a full tank.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:20 AM

IMHO, taking the train from Rome to Siena is a bit pointless. Rent your car as you arrive in Rome, take a little time to explore southern Tuscany (Amiata area, Santa Fiora, Pitigliano) keep it during your Siena stay and leave it as you arrive in Florence. Most of Switzerland can be seen by train, in case you need a car, rent it on the spot for the day.