Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rental car suggestions pickiing up in Malaga and dropping off in Pamplona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rental-car-suggestions-pickiing-up-in-malaga-and-dropping-off-in-pamplona-948910/)

ReginaWLamprey Sep 1st, 2012 01:44 PM

Rental car suggestions pickiing up in Malaga and dropping off in Pamplona

We are spending over two weeks in Spain. We want a rental car for the freedom of being able to drive on our schedule. Our first week we will be in Malaga, our second week we will be in Castellon and then we are spending a couple of days with a friend in Pamplona. Can we pick up a car in Malaga and drop off in Pamplona? What rental car place would you recommend? Any additional fees?

Bedar Sep 1st, 2012 01:54 PM

AutoEurope. No additional fees.

lincasanova Sep 1st, 2012 02:09 PM

check kayak.com and then compare to Autoeurope and each company individually when you find a cheap rate. There are plenty of online discount coupons. Rarely have I found them (AE) to be the cheapest, but they seem to be very popular.

Best to read up on the parking regulations and signs so as not get your car towed or make an illegal turn.

Just FYI, under NO circumstances can you EVER CROSS a solid line in the road, even if the gas station is right there and there is no oncoming traffic.

. You must continue to a roundabout or place to turn around. Solid lines in Spain no not mean only NO PASSING, but also NO NOT CROSS. Turning LEFT in Spain can be a challenge. Many times to turn left you must go right first around a split roundabout or find a place to legally turn at an intersection.

weber6560 Sep 1st, 2012 02:35 PM

Keep enough cash on you to pay any ticket you might get. I got nailed in Logrono and only had about E70 in my pocket. The ticket was E120 [45 in a 35 zone]. The Guardia Civil followed me to an ATM that didn't work and then to a bank where I had to pull out the $100 under the insole in my shoe and get change. The bank was not pleased with the condition of my bill. Not a problem, I still had the other shoe!

Robert2533 Sep 1st, 2012 04:17 PM

If you are dropping the car off where they can use it, then they will generally not add a oneway fee. Avis and EuropeCar are the two main rental agencies in Pamplona. Both have offices at the airport and in town. If you drop the car off at the Pamplona airport, you'll either have to have your friend pick you up or take a taxi into town. There is currently no bus service at the airport. Both Avis and EuropeCar can be booked through AE at a discount.

As noted, Spain is enforcing the speed limits on most highways and use both radar and cameras to catch speeders. They also added unmarked patrol cars on certain highways.

I've never heard of the GC or Navarran Floral Police ask for payment when they issue a speeding ticket, but I could be wrong. The only one I've ever had in Spain (Aragon), came in the mail.

lincasanova Sep 2nd, 2012 02:19 AM

Non residents are accompanied to an ATM when caught by live agents. Camera tickets are sent to rental agency.

lincasanova Sep 2nd, 2012 02:20 AM

..rental agency ( car owner's address)

lincasanova Sep 2nd, 2012 02:27 AM

ONE ( there are many) of the things that really is unfair about how the speed limits are posted is that you can be going 110/120 kms/hour and then there may be a sign for 80kms. Whamo!

As soon as you see that sign you´d better start breaking because no way your car will be down to 80km just taking your foot off the gas.

My written protest to the DGT has been to please state "80 km ahead in 1 km ( or whatever) so that the inertia of your car will have dropped to that speed when you take your foot off the gas.

Really careful in all towns. it is usually 50 km/hr. And do not keep up with the traffic. They will all get a camera radar photo.. just go the correct speed.

Same with parking. Never assume along a street is legal parking even if it is filled with cars. If there is any type of line or dotted line or sign at beginning or end of street you had better look into the translation of that sign.

In large cities dump that car and take a taxi wherever. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

Spanish parking and speeding tickets are totally out of proportion to the salaries here., making the high parking fees seem like nothing in comparison.

ribeirasacra Sep 2nd, 2012 02:29 AM

Robert the law in Spain is that anyone who does not live in Spain, including Europeans have to pay on the spot fines.
Crossing the solid white line is a rule heavily in forced. Those of us who live in Spain face loosing a few points on our Driving Licences as well as a fine.
Here is a video in Spanish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKQPDlbZfY
It explains how to do a "cambio de sentido" in a city road. with and without an obstacle in the way.
It goes on to say how to use a roundabout to change direction. Time (0.53).
Later it shows where you are not allowed to do this manoeuvre. (1.18 = Tunnel)
(1.25 = Autopista ie highway)
(1.30 = Solid white line)
(1.40 = poor visibility)
From 1.46 the video shows the signs which indicates where you can do a cambio de sentido(u-turn)

Aduchamp1 Sep 2nd, 2012 02:43 AM

And be sure to get an international driver's license, you do not need until you are stopped. You will not need one to rent the car, but the police or the Guardia do not look kindly upon the omission of one.

Bedar Sep 2nd, 2012 07:11 AM

And, if you get a ticket in the mail, you can pay it online with a credit card at 50% off if paid within a couple of weeks.

Robert2533 Sep 2nd, 2012 07:45 AM

I know a few people who have sold their points online (the cost of the ticket plus a fee) when they’ve received a ticket in the mail from one of the hidden speed trap cameras and can't afford to loose their license. But it can get expensive.

My ticket was from the infamous speed trap on the N-240 Km 202 (Huesca) in the direction of Tarragon, where you round the corner and the speed suddenly drops from 120 to 70, then back to 120, all in the space of a couple of hundred meters. It’s been there since 2005, resulting in hundreds of tickets (and nearly as many comments online).

Robert2533 Sep 2nd, 2012 07:47 AM

The ticket can only be paid online if you have a Spanish identification number.

ribeirasacra Sep 2nd, 2012 08:36 AM

Robert those drops in speed limits should be something everyone should be aware of. Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes things are so "normal" that I forget to write about them.

Bedar Sep 2nd, 2012 11:31 AM

Wrong, Robert. No Spanish ID number needed. Perhaps we had to give a passport number. Don't really remember as it was 2 yrs. ago. Hey, they have to make it as easy as possible in order to suck in the money from us tourists !

Picked up a ticket in GB 5 yrs ago. That was even easier to pay - the rental agency just charged it automatically to the credit card we used to rent the car ! Nice !!!

Robert2533 Sep 2nd, 2012 02:07 PM

My one and only speeding ticket in Spain was in '09, when you needed the Spanish ID in order to pay online. I've made it a point since then to avoid another speeding ticket. You just have to know where and when you can pick up a little time, like following a couple of GC motorcycles down the A2 from Zaragoza at 130kph. They maintained that speed for around 20 minutes before finally pulling off the highway to let the long line of cars pass.