Rental Car Pick Up

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:48 PM
Jan

Rental Car Pick Up

Hello,<BR>I will be flying into Dublin and out of Shannon (self drive in between) and am wondering where the best (least congested) place to rent the car would be. I don't want to worry about Dublin traffic! Any suggestions would be appreciated.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Jane

Jan, you don't say whether you're staying in Dublin for a few days or driving right out. If you're leaving immediately, I'd certainly suggest picking up your car at the airport.<BR><BR>But if you're going to be in Dublin for a while, you should consider picking up a car in town, to save yourselves a trip back to the airport. We did that last year, when we rented from Dan Dooley's mid-town office. We were initially worried about battling traffic (while learning how to drive on the left), but we actually had few problems. It probably helped that we left town in late morning, not at rush hour, and that the Dan Dooley office was quite close to a major (read: wide and easy-to-navigate) thoroughfare.<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
Bill

I've never been to the Shannon airport but I understand that it's easy to get out of there. Definitely getting out of the Dublin airport is easier than driving in the city, but as Jane says, it's not impossible getting out of the city. Still, you might lean toward the airport. If you were staying in Dublin for a few days and then heading north, you might as well pick up at the airport, because it wouldn't really take you out of the way, and there are several bus options available.<BR><BR>Where (if you are) will you be staying in Dublin?<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:08 PM
Jan

Thanks to both of you for the information. We will be staying in Dublin for three days before heading out. Our current plan is to stay in town at the Temple Bar Hotel. If I understand what you are both saying, renting a car at the airport and going from there is not such a scary thing. It that's the case, then maybe that's our best option. <BR>As of today I have a car reserved at the airport through Dan Doolin - but I could cancel that reservation and do something else if it makes more sense.<BR>Thanks again for the opinions and info!<BR>Jan<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:49 PM
Patrick

We stayed in Dublin three or four days before heading out. On our last day we checked out of the hotel and took a taxi to Dan Dooley in town location to pick up our car. They provided us with easy directions to head south and it was simple. I would advise that over going clear back out to the airport to pick up your car.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
Jan

Thanks, Patrick. I think your suggestion is much better than heading back out to the airport. I certainly do appreciate the help.<BR>Jan

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Ann

Anything has to be more convenient than the Dan Dooley location at Dublin Airport, which is about 16,000 miles from the terminal. From dropping the car off to getting into the terminal, it took more than 35 minutes (20 minutes was spent waiting for the shuttle bus).

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:58 AM
mikey

Jan,<BR><BR>If you are heading south from the city then I would rent at one of the locations in the city (most are on the southside (Hertz Dan Dooley, Etc.)

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:57 AM
mike

Jan.<BR>We did the same as you plan to do last summer. Dan Dooley will pick you up from your hotel and take you to one of their city locations. They gave good directions and it wasn't that difficult learning to drive on the Wrong side and getting out of the city. We headed south to the Wicklow mts. .