Rental Car in Tuscany

Search

Rental Car in Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car in Tuscany

Does $400 for 3 days seem a little high to rent a car for travel around Tuscany? (Auto Europe quote) or would we be better not having a car and going to different towns by bus as we will only have 3 days - planning on staying in Siena. Also, what if the credit cards exclude Italy on the insurance coverage - does that mean I have to get the coverage?
Thanks - Sue
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
rex

Wow. What a shocker! These rates seem to gave gone through the roof. I had to check for myself, to make sure you weren't talking about a premium, automatic or something.

As for insurance,

...from

===============================

Rates include unlimited mileage, mandatory public liability insurance, fire insurance, collision damage waiver, theft protection, and the value added tax. Rates include the mandatory surcharge for rentals commencing at airports. CDW and theft insurance are mandatory. Rates do not include any road fees which are paid for locally.

==============================

So, the insurance tht you _have_ to purchase _is_ included in the rate quoted. Still, I don't think this covers damage to the car, and you're right, your AmEx-associated insurance will exclude any benefits in Italy,

So yes, you would have to buy theirs.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM

$133/day or $8/hour (assuming about 8 hours sleeptime) isn't too much, IMO. To be able to see the beauty of Tuscany for that - it's a bargain!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Yes, it is high, but if you can afford it, take the car. The scenery is beautiful. Do more research for a car rental. Get the extra coverage that they offer for Italy. Just to be safe. It may cost an additional amount, but at least you are covered. Remember, the Euro is strong and the dollar is weak. Compared to 5 years ago, our dollar is 25% less today than before. So you are probably paying, what 300 EUs for the car rental? We went to Siena,as they were preparing for the Palio. It was lovely.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I think that's very high. We rented a manual transmission for a week for a lot less, and it was a decent size. We pre-purchased through AAA. They gave us a $100 deductible, too.

We picked up the car in Siena and returned it at the Rome Airport. In Siena they inspected the car in extreme detail noting every little nick and scratch on the contract. When we returned the car they didn't even look at it.

You can read about our trip at
http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...13Tuscany.html
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Hmmm ! Let me guess---automatic !
If you want to see Tuscany it is the only good way.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I stand corrected. We rented our manual transmission vehicle for (prepaid in the U.S. through AAA) $378 all inclusive except for 32 euros for second driver, that we needed to pay upon return. This was for a full week's rental. The dollar exchange at that time was about $1.28 per euro.