rental car in Florence

Oct 6th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Lori

rental car in Florence

I am picking up a rental car in Orvieto and would like to drop it off as close to Florence as possible without actually having to drive in the city. Can anyone recommend a good location?

Oct 6th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Rex

Maybe Arezzo? What car rental company? They ought to be able to answer the question for you. Look at Avis.com for example to see their locations (unfortunately, they are listed alphabetically, not on a map!)

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
ttt

toppers

Oct 7th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Judy

Try the Florence airport

Oct 7th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Susan

We actually dropped our car off at Eurocar's downtown office without much trouble, but then again my sister and I are used to driving in Manhattan. I would also suggest the airport.

Oct 7th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Betsy

Lori, driving in/out of Florence isn't bad. I think there may be a 12% charge on your total rental to pick up and/or drop off at an airport, so check it out. If that's true, I'd opt to drive into Florence. I've picked up in Florence twice and it was very easy. You're on your way out of the city in just a few minutes. Just make sure you have a good map.

Buon viaggio

Oct 7th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Betsy

Another point, Lori. If you're picking up in Orvieto (be sure to have some gelato at the shop just to the left of the duomo as you're facing it), by the time you get to Florence you'll be an experienced driver in Italy, so returning your car there shouldn't be a problem at all!

Oct 7th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Rex

To Betsy:

On my last rental from Avis, I was told that there is now a unversal "destination" tax (this was in France) of 12% (or some such figure) - - thus the difference between airports and other pick-up locations no longer exists.

But of course, might not be true for every country.

Search this Thread