Rental car in Edinburgh

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:28 PM
J Grant

Rental car in Edinburgh

I'm planning my honeymoon for July in Scotland. Seeking any rental car tips as we plan to pick up a car in Edinburgh to tour the Highlands. (Taking a train from London.) Good companies? Finding deals? Do I have to get their insurance? (I'm from US.) Thanks!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Dick

J,
Our last two trips to Edinburgh and the Highlands we used National Car Rental and were pleased with the cars and prices. You can pick up and return at the airport or in Murrayfield which is an easy walk from Princes Street. If you're coming in to Waverly Station from London and staying in Edinburgh the Murrayfield location would probably be the best bet for pick up and if you're flying out from Edinburgh you can return the car to the airport.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:01 PM
bo_jack

We have had good success with both Hertz and Sixt in the UK. Sixt is German based, but a major similar to Hertz, specializing in Mercedes. Don't look too hard for "deals" -- just check the majors and choose. If you have a credit card which provides coverage, you are not required to take their insurance. However, you should try to be sure of what your credit card insurance does cover. Enjoy Scotland. Its a great country.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:03 PM
mari

here's yet another one: thrifty. located on haymarket terrace near haymarket station in edinburgh. no problems and good rates. they even caught a mistake made during my internet booking and refunded a charge for airport dropoff. after reading all the 'driving in the uk' posts i made sure to reserve an automatic, and one w/ a trunk so that i cd stow luggage out of sight while touring. also to get the smallest car possible w/ a trunk, which w/o exaggeration probably saved me from accidents driving up loch lomondside and thru glen coe--the narrowest stretches of a-road i encountered in all of scotland, which meant speeds up to 60mph, zillions of blind turns, some w/ sheep ambling across the road, oncoming traffic not only in the middle of the road but directly oncoming in my lane, and on many stretches, roads abutted by stone walls or gulches w/ absolutely no shoulder. after that day i did not want to get back in the car, but after that day the driving was sane and i had a wonderful time driving the rest of my itinerary. after cking w/ my credit card company, i opted for no additional insurance. driving in edinburgh can be entirely confusing for the uninitiated, but i was lucky that haymarket terrace leads straight out of the city and onto the motorway past glasgow and up to loch lomond. finally, i knew that gas costs abt 80 pence a liter, but that really hit home when i got 3/4 of a tank for my tiny car and found myself staring at a credit card receipt for the equivalent of $50. after that i just stopped looking at the receipts.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 12:39 AM
Barbara

I had good luck with Hertz. They have an office inside Waverly Station and also at the airport. I agree with Mari, who recommended getting the smallest car you can fit into. Gas is more expensive there, but the upside of that is, when you get home gas will seem cheap!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Pam

We're doing the same thing as you are, but in September. We are using Avis and will pick up the vehicle at Waverly train station - I think we paid a few extra pounds for that privilege but decided that since our hotel is within a stones throw from the train station, it made sense. We did not purchase their insurance, our credit card provides for that.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:46 AM
janis

Pam -- if you can change your car booking I STRONGLY advise you do so. Waverly station is right on Princes street (a one-way mess for non-native drivers) Driving in Edinburgh is very tough because of the congestion, limited parking and narrow hilly roads (in the Old City). It is much easier -- and cheaper -- to go out to the airport to pick up your car. Then you will be right on the motorway and won't have to navigate thru Edinburgh.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 09:17 PM
j

Hi! I agree iwth the recommendation not to pick up car at Waverley station. The auto traffic is bad,and then there are the double decker buses to contend with. Pedestrians jay walk with impunity. We did the train thing and used an excellent tour gentleman as we did primarily Stirling, Perth and St Andrews area.it was wonderful having someone knowledgeable of the history.He also took us to some unusual places. Scotland is wonderful enjoy. Joyce

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Micki

I agree with the two posts above. Pick up your car from the airport. It's difficult enough driving over there if you're from the US and I sure wouldn't want to start off in Edinburgh.

We went with American Airlines Fly/Drive program which included two round trip tickets from Tulsa, OK to Glasgow and ten days of car rental (Hertz) for $2000.00. Then once we got there we were able to upgrade to an automatic for $100.00. We didn't purchase the CDW insurance because our credit card covered that and after fees, taxes, etc. we payed another $100.00 when we picked up the car. Thought this was a pretty good deal considering that the airfare alone for two people was $2000.00 so basically we got the car for free. Too bad we had to return it the second day because I couldn't handle the left driving thing. Good luck.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:30 PM
J Grant

Thanks for all the helpful info! Any thoughts on what kind of car? I'm not familiar with the makes/models there. Doubt the agent at Avis US toll free line will be either!

There'll be 2 of us and we plan to have 2 suitecases each--2 big and 2 small.

Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:05 PM
janis

All the car models are different - and most rental agencies specialize in one or two makes, so you usually can't compare just by make/model. But none of the smallest two categories will have room for four suitcases (why you are taking so much luggage is a whole other post - but for another day)

Usually the third smallest - often called "Economy" - may have room. Look for what they call a five door -- that means a hatchback with a covered trunk (boot) area. The next bigger is often called Mid-size - but they will be smaller than what a US mid-sized is.

You could also book a Compact or Economy Estate car (that's a small station wagon)

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Barbara

J: If you check out each rental company's website, they will let you see what models are generally available at your destination. They also give some idea of how many people and how much luggage will fit. I know this is not the same as actually seeing the car personally, but it does help.