Notices

Rental car for the Peloponnese

Nov 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Rental car for the Peloponnese

After a stay in Athens next May, we are renting a villa in Porto Heli/Cheli. My question is where best to pick up our rental car. We will probably be returning it to the airport.

I understand that the ferries from the Piraeus to locations around Porto Heli don't carry cars, people only. Is that correct?

We'd prefer not to drive in Athens if we can avoid it. I had originally planned to pick the car up at the airport, but that seems too far off our route. Another possibility is at Piraeus. Or is there any place around Porto Heli where the ferry from Piraeus arrives and rental cars are available?

I submitted this question on the TripAdvisor forum also.
Nov 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Nov 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Don't allow yourself to be put off by the nervous drivers about driving in Athens. If you pick up your car at Budget or Avis on
Syngrou avenue in downtown Athens it's an easy drive down the avenue to the highway. Simply follow signs for Piraeus and Corinth... once on the highway Corinth is plainly marked. You can exit and drive by the old road via Elefsina or continue farther north and take the new highway 6 (E94) toward Corinth.

If you leave outside of rush hour on a weekday you'll have no trouble. Dropping the car at the airport makes sense... trekking all the way out there to pick up a car does not.

I used http://www.economycarrentals.com and was well pleased. It's often reported excellent pricing is available from budget.gr (not .com).

Don't forget an International Driving Permit is mandatory in Greece.

rob
Nov 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM

As far as i can remember, if you book a car in Porto Heli, it will be delivered from Athens Headquarters, since there are no local offices there. This may be quite expensive, as you will have to cover the delivery expenses.
You can either rent a car in Athens and drive to Porto Heli, which is an easy thing to do,especially if you avoid the rush hour ( 7-9 am and 4-6pm). You haven't told us though if you are going to stay in Athens first and then rent a car or you will go to Porto Heli upon your arrival.
Most car rentals are having an office near Acropolis, so picking up the car wouldn't be a problem.
Another alternative would be to take the boat to Porto Heli and book a transfer to your hotel.
Here is a link to a reliable local taxi driver:
http://portohelitaxi.com/contact.html

Search this Thread