Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

rental car drop off at Ciampino Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the moment we have arranged a drop off of rental car at Orvieto. We then will take a train directly to Rome, then take a taxi to apartment in San Giovanni area.

I was wondering if driving the car to Ciampino airport and dropping there, then taking a taxi or shuttle to apartment. I have checked viamichelin.com and its only 2 hours from Pienza to Ciampino airport.

Is this drop off easy? too much traffic for a saturday morning? Is rental offices easy to find in airport?
How much time should you safely allow for traffic etc?
Has anyone dropped their rental at Ciampino airport?
Ginder
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:22 AM

ttt
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:31 AM

Ginder - I can't see anything to be gained by dropping off at Ciampino. In fact it will cost you considerably more ...

Besides the cost of a transfer back to Rome, most hire companies also charge a supplementary fee for an airport drop-off.

Steve
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Steve
To drop off the car at the airport doesnt' seem to cost more, it is just pick up. I was just thinking it would save us getting on train with luggage, then arriving at terminii and taking a taxi or shuttle to accommodation in San Giovanni area.
I am thinking that I would just have to pay shuttle from airport to accommodation which is on the ciampino airport side of Rome anyway. I have a quote for a shuttle at 35euros for us 3. I thought it would probably work out more taking train & taxi.
To drop in Orvieto still will take an hour from Pienza.
I just wondered if this route to rome is part of the "don't drive into Rome" area that you avoid.
Also how much time would I have to allow. We may not make it to drop off before we are charged an extra day.
Ginder
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM

isn't there a drop off closer to san giovanni? otherwise, if you are adamant about not driving into rome your idea does not sound bizarre to me.

we have been at ciampino, but i don't recall whre the rental cars were,. it is NOT a big airport, so i wouldn't worry too much.

anything to avoid shlepping cases onto a train, (when you have a car already).. then taxi to hotel anyway.. would sound logical.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks lincasanova
anyone actually returned a car there?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:24 AM

if ciampino is a good location for you, go for it because it is NOT a big airport, ( been there a couple times)so cannot be too difficult to return anything there! This is a one-building ex-military (i assume) airport.

..and the outerbelt goes all the way around rome and leads you to it.

there were plenty of taxis outside also.

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lincasanova
I am just worried about possible traffic times to get there in morning. We will have to return car about 10am. Wondering how early we would have to leave? If it is worth it.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:24 AM

probably give yourself an extra hour. if italians are similar to spaniards, they are not early risers on the weekends!!!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I posted a very similar question on Slow Trav (I see you have done the same) and was warned that the taxis at Ciampino are not "official" Rome taxis. They will often charge 60-70 Euro for what should be a 20-30 Euro charge. I am still planning on dropping off the car there as I have dropped off at Termini and it was not easy to find. We spent a good hour driving around in circles in Rome. The airport looks pretty direct.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lincasanova
The last thing we will want to do is get up early too, means leaving at 7 am to return car by 10am. Doesn't sound good.
Ralstonian, is that your plan to drop off at ciampino?
What amount of time are you allowing to get to ciampino from where you are staying?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:28 PM

We did this exact thing in December. We were a group of 12 (including kids) w/ 2 rental vans. With our size group and luggage we didn't want to deal with driving into Rome to return the cars or the train/taxi option either. We were driving from Tuscany (about an hour N. of Pienza) on a Saturday (New Years eve). The drive to Ciampino was an easy 3 hrs, including one stop at an Autogrill for gas, snacks & bathroom break. We left the villa at 9:30 and were at the airport by 12:30. We used airportshuttle.it (found here on Fodors) for a minibus transfer to our apt near Piazza Navona. Rate was 132 Euro for 12 people and luggage. I called their service about an hour before we arrived to let them know where we were and give a time estimate of arrival. The airport is small so the driver was easy to spot and was waiting for us with our name on a sign. The only minor difficulty was figuring out where to leave the cars. There is a rental car lot on the right as soon as you approach the terminal, but no sign of an attendant or office. We ended up parking the cars in the lot and walking into the airport and giving the keys to the Europcar desk.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM

is all of this really to avoid going into rome in a car? wouldn't it be easier to drive to a drop off near your hotel after you drop the luggage?

believe me.. if you stay calm, (and you will have been drivng for several days already it seems,) you will be fine.

or, drop the car on the west side of rome, to avoid having to get up so early, and take the shuttle from there. you will save time and get to your apt. sooner.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Ginder-

We are driving from Montefalco, which should take a little under 2 hours. We would like to be in Rome , at our hotel, by 11:00 at the latest, as we only have one day in Rome before our flight home the following afternoon. Ciampino still looks like the best bet.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I'm dealing with a similar situation, only in reverse. Originally, I was going to take the train from Rome to Orvieto, but then worried about not making it by 1:00 on Saturday when they close for the day. So after comparing rates from autoeurope, my current plan is to pick up the car at Villa Borghese location and just drive to Orvieto. How bad can it be if I'm just driving out of town, right? If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:21 AM

ginder-We chose the airport drop-off plan in part due to the size of our group, amount of luggage, plus 2 vehicles to return and also most of the rental agency drop locations in the city closed by 12 or 1 pm. The drive from the airport directly to our apt front door was 30 minutes. It was simple and easy. However, if your group is smaller, driving into Rome on a Saturday morning would probably not be too difficult. Have a good map and be patient.

LouisaH-At the end of our first trip to Rome 6 yrs ago, we picked up a car at a rental agency in the villa Borgehese area, then drove to Orvieto. It was just my husband & I and we were in no hurry. It was challenging, but not terrible. Actually found it easier than driving into Florence. We've done that twice, something I would not recommend!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the answers.
Ill take another look at the area and see if there is a closer drop off point to where we are staying. But 3 hours seems to be the average to allow to get to Ciampino anyway.
I am thinking of just paying for extra day, depending on cost, and driving in at easier pace ( not waking up too early)
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:42 AM

maybe you can move your PICK up time to a bit later.. see something in the twon where you are gettng it, so that gives you the extra two hours it seems would be perfect for you.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
We dropped off at Ciampino & took the train into Rome. It was easy. The drop-off is in a garage opposite the terminal (left side maybe? as you're driving). Missed the turn the 1st time & went around again. We drove in from Todi & circled Rome to the west.

Ian
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lincasanova
Good idea, but, we are picking up in Venice on a Sunday morning, just thought the earlier we leave the less traffic there will be exiting venice ( I hope) I will think about that again though, its just Venice to Pienza will be a long drive.
Hi Ian
thanks for letting me know that.