Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rental Car drop off Advice and Restaurant Recommendation in Venice

Apr 15th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Kate

I am taking a trip to Italy with my Fiancee the end of May. We are picking up an rental car in Milan, driving to Venice for 2 nights, then driving to Florence for 2 nights. We would then like to fly to Rome from Florence. Can you recommend whether it would be easier to drop off the car in Pisa (Galileo)and fly out of the airport there or the drop off and fly out of the Florence airport (Peretola)? Also, I would like to take my Fiancee out for a fabulous birthday dinner in Venice. I am looking for somewhere with a nice ambiance and terrific food. Any recommendations?

Apr 15th, 2002, 09:43 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kate, You must be kidding. You do not want a car for those cities--the train connections are easy and cheap. And, why fly to Rome--the train takes about than 2 hours. I am confused.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Mary

DA FIORE FOR DINNER. BOOK NOW!!! You can book online at www.dafiore.com
We went last Nov for my husbands 50th dirthday and it was sensational.

Apr 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
winner

Locanda Cipriani is on an island off Venice; if the weather is nice, lunch outside by the gardens. It is very romantic. (Make a reservation through your hotel for the restaurant and the vaporetto ride)

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Kate

Bob - in response to your posting...
We want to see some of the countryside beteen Milan and Venice and the Tuscany hill area and have the freedom to get around that a car provides. We will park the car at our hotel while in the big cities. Does this still sound crazy to you?

Mary and Winner - thanks for your ideas!

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:51 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

KATE, I agree to rent a car and see Tuscany from Florence--perhaps staying in Fiesole. Also, driving as far as Orvieto to drop your car enroute to Rome. The rest makes no sense. Why spend a &100/day to have your car sit in a parking garage. You have too little time to see your destinations. You will not have time to explore the countryside. Get to Venice ASAP via train, the same for Florence, then explore Tuscany by car. Good luck !