Rental Car Company Suggestions

May 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Rental Car Company Suggestions

I plan on beining in Ireland from June 14-21. I plan on picking up the car in/around Dublin and I plan on dropping off at Shannon Airport. 1. Does any one recommend a particular rental car company. (I assume that I should use a larger company since its a one-way rental). 2. I own and drive a stick-shift, but I have heard that I might want to rent a automatic since driving on the "wrong" side of narrow roads is enough to contend with.
May 1st, 2003, 12:48 PM

I used Dan Dooley on both of my trips and have had NO problems ( we even got a brand new 2003 on this last trip)

Mention Pat Preston's site - The Ireland Expert.com and you will get a 10% discount.

Are you travelling on Aer Lingus? if so , check out their 1,000 Welcome link on their website - tons of discounts on all sorts of stuff.

debbie
May 1st, 2003, 09:20 PM

If you own a stick shift, you shouldn't have a problem. Just be ready to shift with your left hand since the steering wheel's on the right. I drive an automatic, so you can imagine my first day trying to not only get used to stick again, but having mirrors and everything else switched! I'm lucky I didn't kill any sheep.

I'd also recommend Dan Dooley. Just make sure you charge it on a Platinum Mastercard because VISA doesn't cover insurance in Ireland.
May 2nd, 2003, 03:29 AM

I would get an automatic--when we went to England several years ago, we rented a stick shift as that's what I drove all the time. BUT trying to get used to using my left hand to shift while getting used to driving on the other side of the road, unfamiliar signage, etc. was a real chore. I would have enjoyed the trip much more with one less thing to worry about.
May 2nd, 2003, 07:36 AM

I would check Budget, Dan Dooley, Argus and O'Scannlain Travel. The latter rents for Hertz adn this year, for me, they had the best deal. But it depends on the size car you are getting and the transmission. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. The CDW question is a big one, not only whether it is covered, but what the deductible is when you get it and what the buy down cost is for Super CDW.

Bill