Rental Car and Paris Hotel

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Ellie

Rental Car and Paris Hotel

I will be touring France in April with a rental car and would like to spend a couple of days in Paris. I need a hotel that is near some sort of transportation into the city and has parking for the rental car. I've read that driving in the city is a nightmare. I would like to pay less than 100 euros for the room. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Betty

Maybe I don't quite understand your situation, but if you put the Paris visit at the beginning or end of your trip, you won't need to have the car while you're there. Assuming you are flying into Paris, take public transport (RER or Air France bus), shuttle or taxi into the city. When you are ready to leave Paris, reverse the trip to one of the airports and pick up your car there. If at the end of your trip, turn the car in at one of the airports before going into the city. This way you can stay in one of dozens of inexpensive hotels in the heart of the city. Did I misunderstand something?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
Christina

this isn't an exciting or "charmign" place to stay, but it fits your requirements and is acceptable if unremarkable: The Forest Hill Paris Balard hotel. It's a modern hotel right on the edge of Paris on the peripherique in the 15th arr., right near a metro stop (Balard). It's rates should be in your range and I think it has free parking. Here is the URL<BR>http://www.foresthill-hotels.com/paris-balard/<BR><BR>They have some special on there, weekend and July/Aug rates that are only 70 euro or so.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Jean

What is a big deal about driving in Paris? Last November we (my husband 74 year-old and myself 67) drove to our hotel and then returned a car to a rental agency. We did not have any problems but it makes me feel good that all of you young people are so reluctant to drive in Paris and we elderly couple had a blast. No big deal just be alert same way you have to be when driving in NYC, Boston, Los Angeles or any other city with heavy traffic. Have fun, relax and give yourself some credit.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:09 AM
ShouldI

Jean, glad to hear you and your husband were courageous enough to drive in a foreign country. I will be in Paris for over a week and may want to rent a car for a day and see wear my family lived and I was born (long time ago! this is a birthday trip!) Did you need an international driver's license or is the US license good enough? US auto insurance coverage enough or do you buy theirs? Is driving on the right in France? Any other special requirements or important notes to offer? Thanks.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:33 PM
Barb

Your U.S. drivers license is fine to drive in France. You should check with your auto insurance company before you go so that you know exactly what you are and are not covered for. Some credit cards will provide you with some auto insurance if you charge the auto rental on their charge card (our insurance agent told us about this!). It think we did this with VISA or American Express, but check with your individual credit card company. In France they drive on the same side as in the U.S. I found driving in Paris very nerve wracking and I have only done it twice, both times to pick up a car and drive out of town. If you go onto the expressways and highways outside of France, prepare to drive fast! Most rentals are stick shift (standard) although you may be able to order an automatic in some locations.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Gretchen

Driving in Paris is not the big deal--parking is. Just taking the car into the city and turning it in to the rental agency is fine.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Ron

Those reticent to drive in France are missing out on what many experience as the most enjoyable and relaxing way to see the country. We do a driving tour every year and wouldn't do it any other way. We rent from Europcar, use mappy and viamichelin, carry the large and small Michelin motoring atlasses. One of us drives and the other navigates. We find the autoroutes easier to drive then our highways at home, one reason being that people drive to the right. We start from Paris and drive right out of the city. Driving in the city is no big deal as long as you have a good map and a sense of what you are trying to do.