Rent automatic car in Dordogne

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rent automatic car in Dordogne

Flying into Paris in September. Going straight to Dordogne (Sarlat area). I want to rent a car but can only drive an automatic. Should I take bullet train to Bordeaux and rent there. Would I have a better chance of getting an automatic there than say by taking train to Brive? Am also looking for the most hassle free way to get to the Dordogne. Thanks,
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Rented a fabulous BMW automatic at Bordeaux airport. Black and fully loaded. They have a few automatics at that location. I had to take 10 minutes and read the manual to figure out how to do things. That car was mighty fine!

The drive to Sarlat from Bordeaux was easy for me and I made great time. Speed limits were high in most areas and the roads were quiet when I went.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:48 AM

I would highly recommend that you try Bordeaux before Brive. Rental agencies will normally have to bring in an automatic for you from a bigger branch, and so you have more luck if you are already at the bigger branch. Even if a smaller agency says they will have one, it may not be returned to them in time, and you may be out of luck.

It's not a difficult drive from Bordeaux to Sarlat. You can take the autoroute A89 which is fast, or the longer, more scenic route along the river.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:15 AM

Make sure to request the automatic WELL before your planned pick up date. As Carlux said, they often do not have the automatic cars on site, and have to bring them from another office.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:11 AM

And even in a big place like Bordeaux, you may find that the agency closes down for lunch.

I am going to assume you are American because fewer of us drive standard shifts easily. That being said, getting off a plane, getting the TGV to Bordeaux, and collecting the car is not going to be trivial for someone coming off an all night flight. The road from Bordeaux to Sarlat is excellent, but some of it is congested and/or narrow. Should you spend a night in Bordeaux before you try it?
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:46 AM

I would phone AutoEurope or Kemwell and ask them about hiring in Brive or in Perigueux.

We have rented automatics in the latter, and in Bordeaux, and the drive is much easier from Perigueux than from Bordeaux. No matter where you rent, you should be able to drop off in Brive at no extra charge, if you are planning to take the train onward from there.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. I've decided to take the bullet train to Bordeaux and rent from there.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Have a great trip!!