Rent art supplies in Tuscany?

Mar 7th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Lisa B

Rent art supplies in Tuscany?

Does anyone know if there is a way to rent an easel and other painting supplies in the Tuscany region? My mother is an avid painter, and would love to paint the lovely Tuscan landscape, but we don't want to tote all that stuff with us on the plane. Any advice?

Mar 8th, 2001, 05:20 AM
xxx

Rent paint?

Wouldn't she have to scrape it back off the canvas at the end of the trip?

Could it be that your mother said "when I go to Tuscany, I wonder where I could pick up some Dutch Boy while I am there."

Maybe she wasn't talking about paint.

YKWIA

Mar 8th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Jerry

There are no houses for rent in Tuscany.

Mar 8th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Lisa B

Oh boy, people sure try to be funny and witty here on the message board... okay, when I said "rent art supplies" I did not mean paint!!! I am inquiring about an easel, really.

Mar 8th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Beth

Perhaps a table size easel would work if she used smaller canvases; she might have to sit on the ground with this (I take a lightweight exercise mat which also doubles as protection for any breakables I buy) or perhaps a table or chair could be found. One of my companions took several canvas boards (flat and sturdy) to use, and, although, they aren't consider "kosher" for a final painting, they would work for studies. Or, she might want to buy some goauches (opaque watercolors) and practice beforehand and take watercolor paper with a good size piece of cardboard for backing (and clips). When I travel I do this or sketch because how do I get my "masterpiece" home with wet oil paint? I admit I cheat and take lots of photos, specifically geared to be painting references (overlapping and closeups), and work in my studio at home. That way I also relive the trip.

Mar 8th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Carey

My recommedation would be to just purchase an easel over there, then donate it to someone.......anyone, maybe a school, or starving artist.....It will be your good deed for the trip..........maybe resulting in some good Kharma!

Mar 8th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Lisa B

Dear Beth and Carey, thank you both so much for your responses. Beth, I think your suggestions are great, and I will forward them on to my mom. I agree, sketching will probably be the best, and the watercolor idea is the way she will probably go. And Carey, you are right, we can all use as much good Kharma as we can get Thanks!