Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rent apartment for a week in Paris Notre Dame (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rent-apartment-for-a-week-in-paris-notre-dame-892110/)

Marianooo May 24th, 2011 12:30 AM

Rent apartment for a week in Paris Notre Dame

Hello everyone:

After spending a long time on Craigslist for place to stay in Paris, I have finally found an apartment that I like. It is located in front of Notre Dame de Paris! I find its rate to be better compare to hotels in the same area.

Anyway before booking this apartment, I need your thoughts regarding its location. This is my first time in Paris and the first time I rent a flat for one week.

Is there something I should ask before doing my reservation? BTW -here is the link of the apartment to give you an idea. http://appartement-notre-dame-paris.fr/en

Any information that you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

Mariano

ParisAmsterdam May 24th, 2011 03:49 AM

Unless you can find it listed elsewhere (the site mentions Homelidays) and you can find references be wary... craigslist can be very scammy...

nancy1652 May 24th, 2011 06:12 AM

I couldn't open the link. You might want to check out VRBO, which has a variety of prices and insurance you can buy to guarantee your deposit in case anything happens.

Marianooo May 24th, 2011 06:45 AM

Sorry for the link, I was half asleep!
Here's the good one: http://appartement-notre-dame-paris.fr/?lang=en

I'm going to see VRBO, thank you for the information!

StCirq May 24th, 2011 07:06 AM

It's not "in front of Notre Dame de Paris." It has a view of Notre Dame and is on the left Bank - looks like right on one of the quais along the Seine, which would be very busy and quite possibly noisy. I would be VERY careful about Craigslist - not a place I would ever go looking for an apartment in Paris.

KarenE May 24th, 2011 07:10 AM

This location is very, very (!!) noisy. I would not stay there if you paid me!

tripgirl May 24th, 2011 07:29 AM

After doing much research on Paris apts there are so many more agencies or a site like VRBO that I would trust so much more than Craiglist. There are so many to choose from:

VRBO ( Vacation rentals by owner): a worldwide site with many listings for Paris apts. You deal witt he owner.

Others to look at:

Vacation in Paris
Paris Best Lodges
Clickappart
Paris Pied A Terre
Paris Perfect
Perfectly Paris
Paris For Rent
Parisian flats
Haven in Paris
and so many more

Christina May 24th, 2011 08:58 AM

I don't think it's so bad except maybe a little overpriced (800 euro a week). Because it is only about 20 m2 or something and doesn't have a real bed, only a sofabed. So that would do it for me.

The address is on a small side street (rue de la Bucherie) but it appears the apt looks out onto the quai street, which actually would be the part that might bother me as it will be very noisy, the other side might not be.

I would not ever look on Criaglist for apartments. However, this place says it is also on Homelidays which some other people use (it has flaws, as there is no guarantee is isn't a scam). I don't see it as any different from renting from VRBO.

nytraveler May 24th, 2011 10:56 AM

A couple of issues:

Craig's list has a number of scams - don;t know if this is or not
The apartment is minute and doesn't even have a bed - just a flimsy looking fold-out sofa
The apartment is not located in front of Notre Dame - it isn;t even on Ile St louis - it's actually on the left bank
the photo - no leaves shows Notre Dame in the distance - don;t know what will be visible when the trees are in leaf
It doesn;t say what floor the apartment is on or if there is an elevator
It overlooks a busy and loud main street

I would definitely look elsewhere.

janisj May 24th, 2011 11:06 AM

That is a very (<B>VERY</B>) small flat. For €400 or €500 a week -- maybe. For €800? -- not me.

I would normally avoid craigslist at all costs --but this one does look legit. Expensive but legit.

Another site you can check (like vrbo where you deal w/ individual owners) is homelidays.

I'd use vrbo and homelidays - but not craigslist.

Christina May 24th, 2011 11:23 AM

It does say it is on the 2nd floor, that's pretty7 clear near the top. And the owner does say it is in front of ND, but shows photos and exact locations, I don't think that is an issue. The building is in front of it, more or less, it's just across the river, that's all. I wouldn't quibble over that given it gives you photos with an arrow showing where it is.

I still think it's too expensive for the size and cheap furniture, though. But that is a pretty prime location for a lot of people, I can't argue about that.

I would never use Craigslist as a source for searching, but since you found one, if it cross-checks, I think that part may be okay (if you like it and don't mind the rate and no bed). Some people list things in several places just for exposure, and Craigslist is free, I think.

CYESQ May 25th, 2011 03:56 AM

When I rent an apartment and am struggling with the pros and cons, the deciding factor lies generally with property reviews - whether those are positive or negative. Some websites will actually allow guests to post what they didn't like as well as what they did like.

This website looks decent but I don't see any reviews. If you could read some comments from previous guests, it would certainly help make your decision. For example if someone said "it's on a busy street but was quiet when we closed the windows at night" or "the apartment was very small but it had everything we needed and the sofa bed was comfortable," these would definitely mitigate the issues that have been raised.

The building looks ok but the unit is small and not particularly appealing. The price seems high for what looks about the size of a hotel room, but you're probably paying a premium for the location which some others don't even like.

I agree with the others that I would never look for a rental on Craiglist. There are so many other websites that were specifically created for holiday rentals and you know what or who you're dealing with. Please check out the other sites listed above before you commit to this one. If you find some interesting apartments, come back and let the Paris experts weigh in on your choices. Then make your reservation.

Guenmai May 25th, 2011 05:46 AM

I rent apartments in Paris and would never look for one on Craig's List. There are a lot of good websites to look at: www.homeaway.com (the same company as www.vrbo.com), www,vacationinparis.com, www.parisbestlodge.com, and lots more. And 800 Euros for 20 square meters of space is not something that I personally would be interested in. Happy Travels!

TPAYT May 25th, 2011 07:59 AM

I'd deal with a tested, reputable agency. Who are you going to call if there are problems? "Craig?"

Take advice from the Fodorites and check the places listed above that are well known. We've used VRBO and Homeaway with great success. Our favorite in Paris is www.guestapartment.com however,they may be above your price range.

Christina May 25th, 2011 09:12 AM

I prefer agencies also, but VRBO isn't an agency, either.

janisj May 25th, 2011 10:22 AM

true - vrbo/homeaway/homelidays aren't agencies. But each would be safer/more reliable IMO than craigslist.

avalon May 25th, 2011 11:17 AM

Have to agree with all of the above, it is very expensive for the size of the apt and I would avoid Craigslist at all costs.

I only use Vacation In Paris because I like paying by CC in US dollars and having the key before I leave home so that I don't have to depend on meeting someone at a specific time

seafox May 26th, 2011 07:11 AM

www.rentparis.com has small affordable aprtments in the 3rd / 4th. You might want to check them out

vinsenzo Jun 21st, 2011 10:20 AM

Hello

I spent some time in Paris and i was in a nice apartment in the 19th. With my friend we rent it for 2 weeks and it was not to expensive. check the website :
http://www.rent-in-paris.org

vinsenzo

barbeecat Jun 22nd, 2011 06:38 PM

We spent 10 days in Paris in a lovely 1 bedroom apartment with a little balcony in the Marais..we must`ve walked to Notre Dame 4-5 times as we loved it so much..not far at all and we could hear the bells tolling..miss it so much!!We rented from Thierry...here`s a link

www.parisbestlodge.com

we loved it and he was great to deal with...good luck!!