Rent a Car Waremunde, Germany

Dec 20th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Rent a Car Waremunde, Germany

We will be in Waremunde for approx. 10 hours. Should we rent a car and see the German countryside? I have looked into car rentals any suggestions? Or should we stay in town? Is there a lot to see?
Thanks
Dec 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM
hsv

Warnemuende is the seaside resort suburb of Rostock. It has a lively atmosphere, but does not necessarily warrant a 10-hour stay unless you want to include beach time.

Rostock is easily reachable on public transportation and offers a nice Old Town, but a couple of hours should also suffice.

If you get a car, you should make sure not to miss the monastery in Bad Doberan with its adjacent church- an impressive piece of Gothic architecture in a rather nice green environment.

Car rental companies with usually good rates are Europcar and Sixt.
Dec 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Warnemünde has a pretty nice and pittoresque old town, around the old harbor. Plus there are many miles of beaches - in case you get there in summer or late spring.

The city of Rostock (for which Warnemünde is the pleasure port and beach resort) is only a short and cheap ride with the suburban S-Bahn train away, and also has a nice historic city center with many typical buildings from the Hanse era.

But, it is also nice to drive the coast highway via the islands of Darss and Zingst all the way to the island of Rügen. Or to the Heiligendamm resort where the last G8 summit was held at. Many options - more a question if you want to go through possible hassles of picking up and returning a car for just a day. Unfortunately, I do not know if there are any rental locations near the harbor of Warnemünde (you will probably arrive there?).
Dec 20th, 2007, 06:08 AM

LOL.. hsv.. you must have beat me by seconds in posting ;-)
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
hsv

Cowboy, I guess so.

Whereas I really like the area - and absolutely agree that Darss and Fischland is absolutely beautiful, I have so far not been able to discover the appeal of Heiligendamm. I do admit the location in the coastal woods is lovely, but the beach is only average and it wasn't, in my opinion, a too clever move to privatise a whole town and sell every buidling of relevance to one single investor many years ago.
While the Kempinski Resort is great as such, I find the decaying neighbouring villas disturbing and the town has somewhat of a rich ghetto feel to it. I may be wrong, though and progress has been made in the months just prior to the G8 summit.
The old narrow-track steam train is neat, though!
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. We live in Southern CA so going to the beach is not that exciting to us. Renting a car and driving sounds like a good alternative for us. My husband has driven in Germany several times and loves it. Not to research a car pick up. We are arriving by cruise ship. Hope we can arrange a drop off and pick up at the pier. Sometimes that works.
Nov 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Anitas - Did you rent your car? If so, from what agency?

So far I haven't found a rental car agency in Warnemude (although I haven't checked Europecar) so we have reservations with Hertz in Rostock. We want to drive over to Peenemunde to vist the V2 Rocket museum while our cruise ship is docked.

Cowboy1968 or hsv - do you know (by chance) the link to find the schedules for the S-Bahn train you mention in the event we can't get a port pick up?

Nov 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Calling the town "Warnemuende" might help when googling...
Nov 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks for catching that Guokka. I'll try it.

Still hoping for input on the train from anyone.

Thanks
Nov 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM

You don't have to remember a schedule. S-Bahn trains leave Warnemünde every 15 minutes for Rostock.
Nov 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks Cowboy1968. That's a help. Now I'll do a little research on how far the Hertz office is from the station in Rostock.