Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rent a car or hire a driver from Milan to Lake Como area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a post cruise trip, we (4 adults) would like to fly to Milan and from there spend a few nights in the Lake region, maybe Lake Como?

I appreciate your advice, will 4 adults plus quite a bit of luggage fit into a rental car (I know they're small in Italy)? Maybe we would be better off hiring a driver in a larger sedan? Any recommendations or advice please.

As for what area to stay in...none of us have been there before so we're open to a town that is central for 3-4 nights. Is Lake Como a good choice? Would we need a rental car within the town? Any hotel or apartment suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
rex

You wouldn't _need_ a rental car, and you might not use it a lot, but I think it's the preferrable option to hiring a driver (both ways). You will find exploring on your own to do. With a car, I think Menaggio is slightly the better choice (over Bellagio or Varenna) as a town for your lodging.

Four adults, who pack - - the way I recommend (one rollaboard, one small-medium sized, scrunchable duffel) can fit in intermediate sized sedans and larger. I fear that, with plans of "quite a bit of luggage" is more than I recommend. A minivan might be betetr. No more burdensome than a sedan, for the places you're going - - one (minor) exception would be if you plan to daytrip to Lugano (Switzerland) - - the road up from Menaggio is a bit twisty, curvy, steep - - but you can still do it in anything, including a bus.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Rex. If not for coming off a cruise we woule likely be packing lighter...but we can sure try to pack lighter than normal.

If we rent a car, do we drive directly to the hotel with no trains or ferry involved (another complication with luggage)?

Is there a lake view hotel or 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment that you'd recommend? (must have a balcony). Thank you.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM
rex

You can drive directly to all three towns, but driving to Menaggio is by far the easiest of the three.

I suspect that the hotel that you would like most is Grand Hotel Menaggio, not to be confused with Grand Hotel Victoria Menaggio. Both are good, and I have only stayed in the GHVM, which is fine, though the decor in the rooms comes close to none (I mean _really, really_ spartan). There are numerous posts here on the two. The GHM seems to be the better, and it's located 20 yards from the ferry stop (the GHVM is about 400-600 yards away, so not exactly "distant&quot.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM

There were only 2 of us with reasonable luggage in France last year. However, our Toyota diesel hatchback with it's rollover cloth 'thingy' in the hatch barely covered our luggage. FWIW
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM

For four adults, I comparison shop to find out the cost of a good sized car with adequate trunk space or hiring a driver with a small van. Drivers sound extravagant until you realize you're just going to be parking a rental car at the lakeside and paying for it to sit there.

As to which lake: What do the four of you like to do? Lago di Garda is dramatically rugged and beautiful at its northern end, and is filled with gastronomic and wine delights, but it also has a very developed lakefront, with lots of accommodations for watersports fans and Northern European tourists who pour down for the sunshine and the vino. (It is one of the most spotless locales in Italy.) For Lago di Garda, you'll want a car to tour the lake and visit Verona.

If you want misty romance, the vistas of Lago di Como are marvelous if heavily touristed. For years it has been a "destination" for Italians and romantics everywhere. You can get everyhere you might be curious to go by boat. Lago di Como is not famous for its food or wine, but the view makes up for it.

You certainly don't need a car to get to Lago Maggiore, which is a 40 minute drive or bus from Malpensa. Its main attraction is ferry trips to its charming small islands, but I think if you are soon boarding a cruise, you might prefer another lake (and better food).

The small islands of Orta and Iseo are best suited for those wishing to escape the crowds and hide out for a week. I'd recommend a car for either.

If you want "classical" Italian ambience, head to Como. If you want a more active visit to the lakes, pick the fun of Garda and its easy access to Verona or Milano.

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Nessun, I have to disagree on several points. Lake Como is large, and there is plenty of non-touristy ambience to be had, if you stay away from the favorite tourist hotspots like Bellagio (the worst) and Varenna.

And there is plenty of great food and wine on or near the lake - some of our favorites are listed starting on http://www.beginningwithi.com/food/rest.html

The local wines come from Valtellina, most of them based on the same Nebbiolo grapes used in Barolo, but the flavor is somewhat different because they're grown in the mountains. Sfursat, Sassella, Grumello, and Inferno are some typical examples. There are many wineries up around Sondrio, some offering tours. (I intend to try the one at Sertoli Salis http://www.sertolisalis.com/visite_guidate2_eng.html myself soon!)

You can see a lot on and around the lake without a car, using the boats and trains - I've got some useful links for that on http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/.../lake_como.htm.

You could also get a car with driver to do a custom tour for you. My buddy Antonello <http://bestviaggi.com/> can cook something up. I don't know what his rates would be for a full day, but he's got a van that seats nine (and can arrange for just about any other number).

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:54 AM

If it helps at all, we used Antonello from Bestviaggi.com for our transfer in July from Malpensa to Bellagio. We paid E185 for our family of 4. The trip took about 2 hours.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Deirdré,

Do you have any other recomendations for winery tours/tasting near Lake Como?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

This will be just a quick 3 night stay AFTER our Greek Isles cruise. We are not real adventurous or sports minded so I would imagine taking the ferry, strolling around looking at shops, good choice of near-by restaurants are most appealing to us.

Important to us is easier, quicker access from the airport (Como or Managgio...not sure which?), a NICE hotel with balcony rooms and a view of the lake. We will likely eat breakfast within the hotel but all other meals will be eaten in near-by restaurants.

Thank you again.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Tweeter, I'd love to, but I won't recommend what I haven't tried myself - we keep saying we'll go, but haven't got around to it yet.

One thing we have done is eat at Crotasch, the very excellent restaurant attached to the Mamete Prevostini winery - you can read my review at http://www.beginningwithi.com/food/crotasc.html

I'm poking around at some of the wineries' sites, but they're not terribly helpful. Sertoli Salis, mentioned before, seem to be the only ones who've really gotten their act together to publicize whatever they're offering.

I'll write to a few of them and see what I can find out. It may be my onerous duty to go and check them out in person!

One place you can taste some excellent wines and cheeses is Ciapponi - see http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/.../slowfood.html for more on that.

Best, D'
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM

We are leaving in two weeks for six days in Bellagio and have also hired Antonello (thanks Deidre)to take us (four adults with luggage) from MXP to Bellagio and then to Milan Central for our train to Venice. We are staying at Hotel Metropole with rooms directly facing the lake with a patio. The hotel is right above the ferry dock and we plan to use the ferry system to tour around. After months of planning and recommendations from fodorites, we opted not to rent a car. We've compiled a list of recommended restaurants, and sights to see - we're ready to go!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
bat

emilymarie:
Would you mind sharing your list of restaurants and sights to see? You can send to me at barbatt at gmail dot com. Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

emilymarie, I hope you have a wonderful time!! When you return, could you please post whether 2 couples travelling together can have 2 of these large rooms (guess there are only 5) next door to each other? We don't need adjoining rooms but we'd love to be able to chat on our patios. Thank you!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Hotel Florence in Bellagio has some rooms with terraces facing the lake. Larger than just a balcony.

Don't get too hung up over whether to stay in Menaggio, Bellagio or Varenna, as they are only 15 minutes or so apart from each other by ferry. Which town you sleep in does impact your restaurant choices for dinner; otherwise, you have to watch the time and the ferry schedule or risk being stranded in the wrong town at the end of the night.

I can recommend Bilacus and the dining room of the Hotel Florence in Bellagio for dinner.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Deirdré - Thanks for responding and the recommendations! I have found a couple of wineries in Ticino Switzerland, but same problem, the websites aren't too helpful. If you find anything more in your researching, please keep me posted!

Petlover - Sorry to sidetrack your thread, but this will top it for more feedback!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM

petlover,

I think you should give serious consideration to staying on Lago Maggiore.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM

I second nessundorma's suggestion to stay on Lake Maggiore rather than Lake Como, as Malpensa (assuming that's the airport you're flying into) is to the west of Milan, literally just south of Lake Maggiore. A taxi between Stresa and Malpensa is 80 euros (agree on the price before you leave) and the trip takes about an hour. No need for a car once you're there, as there's very good ferry and train service.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:06 AM

Here's what I've learned so far:

Mamete Prevostini (the winery with the attached Crotasc restaurant) tell me that they offer winery tours upon request every day except Sunday; here's how to find them:

CROTASC sas di Prevostini M. & c.
Via Don Primo Lucchinetti, 63
23020 Mese (SO) ITALY
Tel. +39 0343 41003
Fax. +39 0343 41521
[email protected]
http://www.mameteprevostini.com/home.jsp?idtyprub=5

We may go there as early as next Saturday, since we'll have guests who would also enjoy that. If so, I'll report on it ASAP.

Nino Negri appears to be part of a consortium, you can contact:

Ufficio Relazioni Esterne
Gruppo Italiano Vini
Tel: +39.045.6269693
Fax: +39.045.7235772
cell: +39.348.4059341
e-mail: [email protected] (a very nice lady named Roberta Speronella)
to try to get in touch with them about a tour. Probably "any day but Sunday" applies here as well.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM

We've stayed a week in Bellagio without a car, using a self-catering apartment at the Villa Serbelloni (balconies, views, two bedrooms, kitchen, etc.). It worked out great. We use the ferry system. In fact, we took a train from Milan Centrale and then the ferry from Como.

On shorter trips we stayed at Hotel Du Lac in Bellagio, in a room with a view. We had a car on that trip but didn't use it much.

These other suggestions sound good for your purposes, however, esp. staying at the lake near Malpensa, given it's such as short stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -