Rent a car in Croatia or Montenegro?

Apr 13th, 2008, 02:45 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Rent a car in Croatia or Montenegro?

We will be arriving in Dubrovnik in June, and plan to go to Montenegro for six days, before returning to Dubrovnik for a few days. We would like to rent a car for the Montenegro portion of our trip only.

Would it be better to rent a car in Dubrovnik, and drive to and from Monenegro with it?, or

Somehow get to and from Montenegro by bus or some kind of transfer, and then rent a car in Montenegro??
We will be based in Kotor while in Montenegro.

Any advice regarding car rental would be appreciated!

KC1

Apr 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM

kc1,

When you say, "would it be better. . .", I'm not sure if you're referring to price, driving the terrain, etc.

We've driven from Dubrovnik to Kotor and enjoyed the drive. It doesn't take too long and the roads aren't bad.

On the other hand, there are other ways to get to Montenegro. The bus is an option, but it will take a lot longer and you'll be at the mercy of their schedules. I don't know the cost of hiring a driver, but it may end up being cheaper to do that if you don't need the car for the full six days in Montenegro (and you won't have to bother returning it in DBV, although I don't think that would be much of a problem).

When we arrived in Dubrovnik in March, our taxi driver from the airport told us he was taking some people from San Francisco to Montenegro the next day.

It might be helpful if you expanded on your reason for the question.
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:16 AM

I would just take the bus to Kotor (or arrange for a driver--contact your Kotor accommodation to see if they arrange them) because you won't need the car every day--for example I am sure you will just explore Kotor at least one day. There are also plentiful mini-buses in the Kotor area. Then you can just rent a car the days you are exploring further afield.
The bus is a pleasant 3 hour ride, about the same as the drive.

Plus, I am assuming that taking the car into two countries may involve extra costs and possibly hassle.
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
kc1
Original Poster

In response to "ellencmog's" question, one of my main concerns is having a rental car in Montenegro with Croatian plates on it. I have read that some folks have had problems with vandalization of their rental vehicle, because of the Croation license plates, and/or more problems with the local Montenegran police.

Any thoughts or advice re these concerns, and any other aspects of our choices would be appreciated.

Thanks,
KC1
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Of course it is a possibility, but I can't say I would be overly concerned about it.
I said "hassle" because you have to check with the rental agency about crossing the border, present papers at the border, and so on.

Apr 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM

KC1,

I don't have firsthand knowledge of vandalism or other problems with Croatian plates. We rented from Eurocar last month to go into Bosnia from Croatia and it was easy; they took care of the necessary insurance and there were no problems with the Croatian plates in Bosnia.

Last year we went into Montenegro, but with Kosovo plates (with no problem).

But if you want to be absolutely sure, taking the bus or hiring a driver might be your best route.