Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rennovations of Roman baths in Bath, England....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
schizo

I might have the opportunity to travel to Bath in the next 6 months and I was wondering to what extent the renovation of the old Roman bath area has been completed? I used to read about the repair work periodically in the Times of London, but have not heard any recent progress reports. (I know at one time a year or so ago work had nearly ground to a halt because of a mother duck and her duckling inhabiting the old pool.)

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Jim

I was just there last month and didn't see any major renovations. We had a wonderful visit.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Jen

When I was there in July 2001, I saw no evidence of ongoing renovations, but got the impression that they were working on expanding the excavated area. There is certainly no chance that a duckling would get into the main pool!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:35 PM
Mark

We were at the baths this April. We had a wonderful time there and I would not miss it. We also enjoyed Jane Austen's museum and walking to the Royal Crescent. If you have more time do not miss Dartmoor and Cornwall.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:04 AM
Hector

Ah, Jan, you are wrong! Truly a female duck was nesting there and the animal rights maniacs demanded (and won their demand) that work around the bird must halt until the brood was raised. Only in England. Well, maybe in California.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Jen

Ah, I can see a mamaduck setting up housekeepingthere; I just couldn't visualize a little duckling dealing with the gantlet of walls and setps. <BR><BR>You're right, only in England or CA. Here where I am, that duck would have disappeared pretty quickly.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:09 AM
Susan

The renovations that I observed in June were not of the Roman baths, but of the public baths that were built in the 18th(?)century. They were being renovated so that they could be opened to the public again.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
just

I was there earlier this year and let me tell you: The baths need to be renovated. They were just ruined. Stones lying here and there, the water was all green. The place was a mess. The only place that looked renovated was the restaurant.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:48 PM
janis

As Susan says - the big renovation/restoring/ developments are at the public bath houses which are being redeveloped into a sort of destination spa.<BR><BR>Nothing at all to do with the Roman baths.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:31 PM
kam

Yes, here in California. One of the creeks into the bay which could be a flood problem was halted until some black crested blah-blah hatched her eggs. Can't remember nor ever heard of the type of bird, but if my yard floods because of her this winter.........