Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renault Eurodrive Leases(anybody tried this)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Randy

We found a web sit for Renault. you can lease a brand new Clio(compact 4door manual, with a/c) with all insurances and taxes for about $850 canadian(about 550US$) for three weeks. Has any body else out there tried this? It sounds like a pretty good deal. Any car rental agencies to recommend.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:56 AM
John

We've used this service and recommend it highly. The cars are brand new and the Renault people we encountered last time (Amsterdam, Barcelona) were friendly and competent. One word of caution, though: (unless they've changed) the cars come with red French export plates, very distinctive, which shout to the world (i.e., to anybody that knows) that the car is being driven by a tourist or someone who isn't from here. We just paid a little extra attention to security things like not leaving things in the car when parking on the street, etc. You're fully insured (that and no VAT makes the difference) but why take chances with your stuff?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:08 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I have done this with Peugot and it is a great deal for any trip more than 17 days if you can pick up and drop in their locations. You are actually "buying" the car so the paper work is more complex, and the location of the drop off places can be a hassle.<BR>We saved about $1500 on a car during our 8 week sojourn in 1998, but we had a mid size Peugot 406. Go for it !

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Paulo

Don't overlook John's word of caution. The redish "leased" cars license plates tell thieves that more often then not they should be successful in breaking in the trunk. Avoid non attended parking lots and underground garages when your trunk is filled with goodies. Other than that, Renault Eurodrive (or Peugeot's program) is great.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Randy

Thanks for the endorsment and words of caution. Mostly I wanted references and you guys provided that. Thanks, you guys are great.<BR>Randy

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Sam

To Paulo or anyone else:<BR>Any way to avoid the "redish tourist leased car" license plates? Will the leasing company do it?<BR>Any experience, anyone? Thanks. Sam

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:42 AM
ahmet

Rand what's the web site adress?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:09 PM
John

They aren't "leased" number plates, they're export plates, similar to the oval German export plates you used to see in N. America on trophy Porsches etc. or the red-striped Swedish export plates seen on Snaabs and Volvos. The deal Renault (Citroen, Peugeot) can make, with the tax exemption, is because they are technically selling a foreigner a car (i.e., to export). So no, the leasing agent can't alter the plates to the in-country variety because doing so would cost you a lot of francs and the agent his/her job. But I'd hesitate to recommend too much paranoia on the issue, any car in Barcelona or Milan with French or German or British plates is de facto a foreign/visitor vehicle, driven by someone who's not from around these parts, ma'am. Use normal care and N. American street smarts, you'll be fine.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Paulo

I don't think so, Sam. The first time I "leased" a Renault I met quite a few other travelers on the same deal. Two of the families reported that they had their trunks broken into (underground garage in Barcelona and a restaurant parking lot in southern Italy). The next time up, I asked the travel agent here in Brazil if it was possible to get rid of those plates. He said he would check and report to me later ... he did so, informing me it wasn't possible. I doubt that he made a real check, though. <BR><BR>In subsequent years, on one hand the leased car rates increased, the minimum lease time period decreased and with the internet one could look for better deals than through a travel agent back home. Once I normally needed a midsize car from 30 to 35 days each time out, it turned out less expensive renting through Auto Europe rather than leasing. I never leased again so I didn't have the chance to check the license plates issue myself.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:14 PM
John

I meant "pard," not "ma'am," Randy. Got me a hitch in my giddyup.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:17 PM
John

Randy, Ahmet, Sam...boy do I have my people confused. <BR><BR>To whoever it was that asked: http://www.renaultusa.com

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:00 AM
ken

I looked into these lease programs, and they seem fine, but more appropriate for a minimum of 3 weeks. it seemed better if you planned a month or more of travel.<BR><BR>We always stay about three weeks when we visit family in france, and I use autoeurope or europebycar. Autoeurope is my preferred agent, I have had three consecutive positive experiences. They are based in north america, and basically pool a lot of rentals to get better rates with all the major companies. when you accept a rate with them, you pay a deposit and receive a voucher by snail and email. you take that to the rental company in europe, and from there it is like a regular car rental.<BR>autoeurope.com, their rate from 8-1 to 8-21 for example was $468 excluding insurance, (which can be avoided if you have a credit card that covers it) $768 all inclusive with taxes. <BR>I think my decision was based upon the fact that by using the cards rental insurance, the rate was lower, and i didnt have to hassle with the special plates or the fact that i was "buying" the car. If I stay longer than 3 weeks I would use this service though

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Noele

We leased a Renault for 8 weeks and travelled through seven countries and did not have one ounce of bother. We had no break-ins and because of the red plates, we felt other drivers were considerate of us when we went down streets the wrong way or on the wrong side of the road (we drive on the left in Australia!) Believe it or not we had no accidents either. My husband was paranoid about denting the car etc. but when we returned the car to Paris, we were really surprised at the state some of the returned cars were in. He needn't have worried. We plan to go to Europe again next year and will definitely use Eurodrive again.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Dominique

I do this all the time (it'called "achat-rachat" and the trick is that they save lots of FF in taxes because the original buyer is a foreigner). I never had any problem with the red plate. Actually, I think it made me get away with a few tickets...

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:30 AM
Brad

Anyone else? Thanks.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 03:09 AM
Kerry

We have used Renault and Citroen and highly recommend both. The paperwork is all done at home and collection is a breeze. Last time we only needed a car for 13 days so we used Hertz. Pick up was a hassle - endless forms all in French and extra charges on our credit card after we returned home. In the long run it would have been cheaper to lease/buy for 17 days. Also the red plates saved us from a nasty incident in France during a strike/blockade. Angry mob blockaded the road, surrounding individual cars and questioning the occupants. They saw our red plates and waved us through while all the French cars were held.