Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renault Espace - 4 Adults 3 small kids + Luggage?

Apr 24th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Anyone know if this is feasible?
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM

The Espace is a minivan that is available in a 7 passenger configuration. Since 3 are small kids, you should fit. However with all 7 seats in use, there will not be much room for a lot of luggage. I am not sure about anchors in the rear for the kid's car seats. You might check if a rooftop carrier is available for luggage. There is also a longer wheelbase Grand Espace, but I think it may only come with 6 captain's seats - not sure about that either. The Espace comes in both gas and diesel versions. The diesel will save on fuel costs.
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I think you should consider something bigger or even 2 vehicles.

The Espace is a 7 person people carrier and when all 7 seats are in use there isn't much space for anything else
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Assuming the kids are small enough to need car seats - and probably strollers etc - there is probably no way 7 of you, the luggage, and assorted "kid equipment" will fit.

You need 2 cars . . .

But give us more details - like how much luggage will you have and the ages of the kids.
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll be renting one from Paris to Burgundy. I am not sure if the Grand Espace is an option, but I'll look into that.

We all rented a Toyota Sienna last year on a trip to the US Southwest and all of our luggage, gear, etc. was able to fit in the back storage area with all seats in use. We will probably have less gear as we have learned some from last year (I think).

The children are 2, 7 & 9, with the 2-yo in a child seat and the 7-yo in a booster seat. The adults will each have a 22" carry on sized suitcase/backpack and a small daybag. The 7 & 9 year olds will each have a small wheeled suitcase. The 2 y.o. will have a combo backpack/stroller with a zip on diaper bag. His stuff will be distributed between the diaper bag and mine and my wifes luggage.

We are really only using the car for tooling around Burgundy without luggage for 3-4 days before leaving for Switzerland. We are planning to pick up the car in Paris because I think it will be easier to just load up and drive right to Bugundy, but we could pick up the car in Dijon if it looks like it will be too tight with luggage, etc.

I usually bring along a few bungy cords that I can use to strap whatever doesen't fit to the roof. Do these vehicles usually have luggage racks?
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Renault Espace is too small for luggage.

Rent a 9-seater-minibus instead!
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM

I have used an Espace for 4 adults and their luggage and that was fine but I wouldn't have wanted to carry any more. I think this be too small for you.
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM

<<< Do these vehicles usually have luggage racks? >>>

No
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, this is the biggest car I can find in Paris at a reasonable price. I am paying $256 for a 4 day rental through Avis. Avis offers a Renault Traffic, which is a 9 passenger van but it shows unavailable for pick up in Paris. We can pick this vehicle up in Dijon for the same price as the Espace, but that doesn't really help much.

The rate for this or any other larger van seems to be double through most of the other agencies I've checked. I guess if we won't all fit, there is really no advantage to saving money.
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM

You just have to accept that a huge vehicle comes w/ a huge rental rate.

Have you considered 2 small cars - much cheaper and more flexibility . . . .
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, this is the biggest car I can find in Paris at a reasonable price. I am paying $256 for a 4 day rental through Avis. Avis offers a Renault Traffic, which is a 9 passenger van but it shows unavailable for pick up in Paris. We can pick this vehicle up in Dijon for the same price as the Espace, but that doesn't really help much.

The rate for this or any other larger van seems to be double through most of the other agencies I've checked. I guess if we won't all fit, there is really no advantage to saving money.

So, these don't even have roof rails? Hmm...I guess I'll have to start looking for the best rate for a Minibus.

Thanks all for the input, glad I asked!
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM

I actually own and drive an Espace, and have done for 4 years now.

I have 4 teenagers and regularly have another on board. Each seat folds flat but still takes up a good amount of space, so I almost always remove one of the 3rd row of seats so I have room for sports bags, shopping, the day-to-day stuff we carry around, etc. When that 7th seat is in situ there really is virtually NO room behind the rear seats.

When we go away I put on a roof box to carry a lot of our stuff.

You have had many answers al;ready, and they all tell you what I am going to - with all 7 seats in use for people, there will be minimal space for luggage unless you have a roof box, and even then you could not fit 7 suitcases in, even carry-on size. Soft duffle bags, well probably you could squish them in, and behind the seats, and in the floor space under the childrens' feet.

A Renault Trafic would be bigger, and you could also consider a Mercedes V-class, but even so with all 7 seats in use you are still limited for luggage space within.
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM

since everyone has such good input - thought i might ask a related question on same thread...(hope this is ok..) Any experience with an Opel Zafira? We are 3 adults and 3 small kids (4,7,9yrs - one booster).. the "specs" read 7 passengers plus 2 large suitcases.. we'll have 6 passengers with 6 med-sized roller suitcases... however, only 1 trip with all plus luggage from Avignon to house in Lourmarin...Also, anyone know how strict rental agencies are re booster seat requirements and child weights?
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Zafira is a similar size to the Espace. With 6 in there isn't a lot of space for anything else
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM

A Zafira is slightly smaller than an Espace. If you totally remove one of the 3rd row seats (if the agency lets you do that) you possibly could just about fit in 6 small medium suitcases, 2 at the very rear and 4 stacked atop each other where the removed seat was, but then the child in the very back seat would be at risk of having them slide or fall sideways on him/her. But it would be a very tight squeeze if indeed you could actually get them all in... depends how you define 'medium-sized'.
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Are the Zafira and Espace the same size? I was under the impression that the Espace was bigger. If this is the case, we will definitely need something bigger since I've seen a Zafira and I KNOW we won't fit in that.

Can anyone compare the Renault Traffic to the Toyota Sienna or a VW Bus? From what I can tell, the Traffic looks to be bigger than the Sienna and about the same size as a VW Bus, but it is hard to tell online.
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

OK, quick update in case anyone is interested. I called the 800 number and talked to a real live person (what a novel concept) and asked why the Renault Traffic was showing unavailable for pickup anywhere in Paris. It turns out that it is available by request, however they do not give you the option of placing a request online. They manually put in a request for the larger Traffic - for which they quoted me the same rate as the Espace if available. I need to call back in 3 days to see if they accepted the request. I'll post back when I find out for sure.

I am glad I posted my question here as I don't think we'll all fit in the Espace. We could always rent 2 cars if it doesn't work out but we'd rather avoid that for a variety of reasons. Hopefully the will get back to me with good news and the larger van will be available.

BTW, the Avis discount code (AWD) D005927 gives a killer rate in Europe - about 40% off regular rates and lower than any other rates I was able to find with any other companies.
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM

VeeBee, we have a Zafira. You can just put up one of the seats in the third row, leaving 1/2 of the boot area available.It may be just possible to squeeze everything in as suggested above. But depending on your bag sizes, it may not be. It's touch and go - I wouldn't recommend risking it.

Also, with the third row in use the first two rows of seats have to shift as far forward as they go. Legroom for everyone is seriously reduced and can be extremely cramped. It's bearable for short trips but not for serious travelling.
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Here my guide to European cars:

- For 2 persons with baggage: A small car may be sufficient.

- For 3 persons with baggage: At least a compact car (VW Golf, Opel Astra)

- For 4 persons with baggage: Intermediate car (VW Passat, Opel Vectra).

- For 5 persons with baggage: Opel Zafira or station wagon (e.g. Opel Vectra Kombi).

- For 6 persons with baggage: 7-seater-Minivan (like VW Sharan, SEAT Alhambra, Renault Espace etc.)

- For 7 persons with baggage: 9-seater-minibus (like VW Caravelle, Mercedes Vito, Opel Vivaro, Renault Trafic etc.).
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:36 AM

BTW under EU law the 9 year old needs a booster too. Any child, 12 and under, or shorter than 135cm(4ft 5ins), must use a booster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO