Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Renal car Prague to Vienna - Need help on Van sizes in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/renal-car-prague-to-vienna-need-help-on-van-sizes-in-europe-932779/)

jimmy321 Apr 25th, 2012 11:10 AM

Renal car Prague to Vienna - Need help on Van sizes in Europe

We are 6 people. We plan to go from Prague to Vienna, via Cesky and Salzburg. We will stop a night each at both Cesky and Salzburg. We figured that based on the connections and cost for 6 people, a rental van would be the best way. We are finding some vans that accommodate 7 people for booking, but since these models are not available in the US, we are confused if they would be comfortable for 6 passengers ( some vans in US are absolutely uncomfortable for more than 5 passengers - though they advertise for 7). For luggage we would have 1 pull-on per person ( one that goes inside the plane cabin). The choices available are :

Opel Zafira
VW Sharan
VW Touran
Opel Vivaro

Would like your opinion about the vans for comfortable passage for 6 adults?
Thanks - Jim

hetismij2 Apr 25th, 2012 11:42 AM

The Zafira and Sharan will be too small.
The Touran may work. The Vivaro is a proper van. Not sure how comfortable the seats are in it though.
I assume you are returning the vehicle to Prague? One way charges on such an unusual vehicle maybe higher than the already normally high fees.

jimmy321 Apr 25th, 2012 01:22 PM

I am actually returning in Vienna. I have looked at the one way fees. It looks like it comes out nearly equal even after paying the 1 way fees for 6 people....and gives a bit of flexibility in the travel. The Vivaro total is around euro 470 for the 3 days rental including 1 way fees ( Zafira is cheaper). I calculated and looks like teh travel for 6 people would be more than this amount from Prague --> Cesky-->Salzburg --> Vienna.

When you say Vivaro is a proper van, why do you say that the seats may not be comfortable?

november_moon Apr 25th, 2012 03:06 PM

I think that what hetismij means is whereas the Zafira is clearly meant to be a passenger van - like a minivan in the US - the Vivaro is made as a passenger van or a delivery/work van. Something that you would more likely see used as a catering truck or an airport shuttle than a family car. Based on pics on the web, it doesn't look like the same kind of focus went into passenger comfort as a minivan in the design.

nytraveler Apr 25th, 2012 05:29 PM

If there are 5 of you a van for 7 is very unlikely to hold all in comfort plus your luggage - which I assume will be a small wheelies each plus personal item. We have found in europe we always need to get a bigger car than we would in the US to have any room for luggage.

jimmy321 Apr 27th, 2012 03:35 AM

Ni Nytraveler, your advise sounds good !

chartley Apr 27th, 2012 04:30 AM

We may be having a bit of a problem with language here.

In English English, a van is a vehicle designed to carry goods, generally with no windows or seats behind the driver. Some such vehicles are converted to make what is known as a minibus, with one or more rows of seats behind the driver and windows all the way back.

Car size vehicles which are taller and more spacious are known as MPVs (multi-purpose vehicles). Some of these have a third row of seats, but there is often only legroom for a child to sit in the third row. Passenger space is always at the expense of luggage room. Three rows of seats can only be used if there is little or no luggage.

The Zafira and Touran are both MPVs, with small seats in the third row. The Sharan is bigger, with seats for adults in the third row. All of these have little room for bags if all the seats are filled.

The Vivaro is a converted commercial vehicle and much bigger. It should have the space you need, but will be more expensive to hire and more difficult to park. Multi-storey car parks may be difficult, for example. Another consideration is that your luggage will be visible.

ParisAmsterdam Apr 27th, 2012 06:23 AM

Try going to http://www.parkers.co.uk and look up the vehicles in question. They usually have multiple photos including the luggage areas as well.

You are going to be challenged fitting both people and baggage... if most of your party can find a way to use soft luggage, it is scrunchable and you'll have a better chance of getting things to fit. Hard sided luggage isn't good at being stuffed into irregular spaces! ;^(

jimmy321 Apr 27th, 2012 03:32 PM

Yes we are trying to take soft luggage, but it is not what can squeeze into irregular places.

Chartley's explanation is quite helpful. Looks like there are no vehicles that are equivalent of the Honda Odyssey to Toyota Siena which are reasonable for 6 people with some ( not too much) luggage. I think we will have to go for the Vivaro. Fortunately we are using it only to go to CK and Salzburg and both places seem quite open. Many of the hotels have open space car park.