Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm leaving for Paris in less than two weeks and have been booked at the Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense. I know it is located near the Grande Arche but would like to know how far it is from some of Paris' famous sights.

Also, have any of you travelers stayed there?

Thank you.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Far far far. But the RER at La Défense will get you into Paris very quickly. It is just a shame that it is not very practical to stroll into Paris or back to the hotel from such a location.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:02 PM
ira

Hi V,

La Defense is a major office complex.

At night everyone goes home.

It is about 0:15 hr from Notre Dame.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:02 PM
ira

by RER/metro
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:03 PM

It is not somewhere I would stay on a first trip to Paris. It will no doubt be quiet, but you will not find either the sights nor the charm of Paris out there. Lots of shopping, though, if that is what you're looking for.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's probably a couple miles from some things you might call famous sights.

I've never stayed there but I've been at the arch and the shopping center there, which is pretty nice.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i> . . . have been booked at . . </i>&quot; - does that mean someone else booked you there? Or did you do this yourself?

Unless it is a REALLY low Priceline bid I personally would not stay out there.

It is a fascinating place for a few hours to see some pretty souless modern architecture. And going up to the top of the Grand Arch is interesting. But to stay there as a base to visit central Paris - not me.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM

On the other hand, vistas, if you were booked at that hotel because you have business in the area, you are at the end of the main metro line. While it is not within walking distance of the Paris you will want to see (sights, museums, etc.), they are accessible.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Stayed there a few years ago using Marriott points. We were not pleased with the hotel or the staff. The HVAC did not work and the mgt. didn't really seem to care or want to fix it. The restaurant was overpriced then and I shudder to think of what it is now. It simply was not up to Marriott standands.
La Defense as has been noted completely shuts down after the business day and on weekends. It is deserted. The hotel is a hike to the Seine but not terribly far from the RER or the end of the Metro line. It is off the beaten path. The only reason to stay at La Defense is if you are doing business there or if you get to stay there free. Even then I would have to think about it.
Finally, unlike the rest of Paris there were no good restaurants/bistros/patisseries and markets anywhere near the hotel. This is even more evident after the business day ends.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I have not stayed at the Renaissance but I have stayed near La Defense. Unless you are on business, I would not recommend it. Sure its a quick train ride, but its far enough that its not easy to come back during the day. Everything closes up in the evening. Imagine staying at an office park where you live, its the same. You won't hate it, but you are not going to have the same atmosphere as being in the center.